Adapters....which brand?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Shutterdad, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    Part of the reason I chose the Nex F3 was the ability to use adapters and old manual focus lenses and not to mention it's cheap price.

I'm looking at adapters on Amazon and I'm starting to get confused with all that's available. What brands do you guys use and have good experiences with? I know the saying, "you get what you pay for." I've noticed they run from $20 and up.

I will be buying off of Amazon.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount
  2. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I have only purchased the cheap Rainbow Imaging and Fotodiox adapters so far. The quality of output has been very good. I have not seen any light leaks or problems with the mounts (everything has been smooth and secure).
    With that said, I will be getting a more expensive adapter soon... just to try it out ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    I bought a generic adapter from eBay and it has worked very well. It did start having a loose mount for some of my lenses. There was a shift when adjusting aperture, but they still stayed mounted.

I'd suggest trying to find one with a tripod mount, just in case you plan to get some heavy lenses.
  4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Generic cheap adapters are certainly good enough if you don't swap the lens attached to it too much.

If you plan to swap around a lot, the better release mechanism on a metabones type adapter is very handy
  5. Shutterdad

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I do plan on swapping out lenses so I'm leaning towards buying several. I'm going to need them in Canon FD, Nikon F, and Minolta MD mounts.

The Metabones adapter is way out of my reach. I will look for ones with a tripod mount.

6. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I shoot adapted lenses on my NEX almost exclusively. Ordering adapters is just a hit and miss affair. You just never know what you will get. You can tell from the pictures on ebay that many sellers all have the exact same adapter coming from the same Chinese factory. Only god knows the tolerances the workers are made to keep or the machines can maintain on getting the flange to focal distance right. Or the e-mount side nice and snug. Or the other side of the adapter crafted right.

For instance, I have ordered cheap 7 dollar adapters and had them work just fine. But every single CY/M42 adapter I have ever ordered (and I have ordered several) simply dont fit the CY mount right. They are loose and jiggle around.

Adapters that have moving parts, like Canon FD, have more of a chance to go wrong. However I ordered a Petri adapter recently (there was only one seller selling any, its not common) and I was surprised at the quality of the construction. The breach mount worked fine and it has the snuggest fit on my NEX of any adapter I have ever ordered with the exception of my Metabones Speedbooster. Just goes to show you never know what you will get.

If you do get serious about MF photography on the NEX then check out the adapters by Novoflex. Very high quality and made in Germany. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. You pays your money and you take your chances. A penny saved, you get the point. :)
  7. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    I use adapted lenses on my F3 almost exclusively as well. Here's what I've found works well for my Minolta and Canon-mount lenses:

One thing I recommend with these cheap adapters is to check the small screws that hold the silver mount ring. I've found a couple adapters that had stripped screws. If the screws are not stripped, remove them, apply Loctite to the screw threads, then reinstall the screws, being careful not to get Loctite on the silver mount ring (use tweezers). Let cure overnight. Do the same with the tripod foot screws (if your adapter has one).
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I as well have four adapters.

The first one was a $45.00 one and the subsequent ones have been various $15-20.00 ones. I can not tell the difference and have not had one bad one. This is one of those times that spending extra does not get you anything better.

Synomis192 suggestion is worth heading though, if you desire to use a tripod.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I have more than 10 cheap Chinese-made MD-Nex adapters all bought from the same seller on ebay and never ever had an issue.
    Only once I had to tighten the little screws which were slightly loose but other than that they have been working great for me

I don't have heavy lenses thought - all under 500grams - so I don't know how these cheap adapters would behave with a heavy lens.
  10. Shutterdad

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    This is going to be fun! Thanks everyone

11. watchin

watchin TalkEmount Rookie

I tried 3 of the cheap ones l returned them all for various reasons (bad registration, loose mount, tight mount, worst of all light leaks), moved up to fotodiox ($35 to $50) very satisfied . Recommend the pro version if avaliable in your mount, better quality all around. Most come with tripod mount.

watchin...aka Greg
    just watchin the world go by, trying to get a good picture.
  12. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Yannis Marigo
  13. Shutterdad

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for all the replies. I have a better idea of what I'm looking for now.
  14. Shutterdad

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    Ordered my first Nex adapter today from Amazon. Going to give the Fotodiox brand a try. Now the waiting games begin as I wait for delivery.:thumbup:
  15. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    I have several different adapters. The first one I purchased was a Fotodiox, the one with the little tripod foot. When it arrived, the tripod foot was loose. It was attached with two very tiny screws, one of which was cross threaded and useless. I drilled out the holes and rethreaded them for larger screws, after which the mount has performed adequately. It gets used often with my FD 135mm f/2.5 lens, which is rather heavy.

I bought an adapter for my only M42 lens, which has been flawless (that lens has its own tripod foot, so I got an adapter without the foot. Curiously, the adapter does not have the manufacturer's name or a logo on it, so I don't know what to recommend here...

Recently, I bought a couple of Fotasy brand adapters for Canon FD to NEX. They appear well machined, something to be expected in the age of CNC machine tools. On one of them, however, the aperture ring on the adapter (used to open the aperture for focusing and close it to shoot) was very tight and stiff. I had to remove a bit of metal from the bottom surface of that ring to loosen it slightly so it didn't bind. I just worked it on a flat piece of fine sandpaper, didn't remove much more than the anodizing from that surface and now it works perfectly. (A word of caution: the screws that hold these adapters together are very tiny, and this one also had a spring and a tiny steel ball for the detent positions; if you decide to follow my lead be careful...)

My experience leads me to conclude that most of the inexpensive adapters are going to be "good enough" but don't expect them to act like custom-fit parts. Most are also just a little bit shorter than you need to exactly match the flange focal distance for the lens you're adapting. I'm sure this is deliberate, because an adapter that is too long would probably not allow infinity focus with many lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Who hear something about using Nikkor G lenses on A7? I´m very interested in using my AF-S 105 VR, Sigma 150 HSM and AF-S 35/1,8 G. An suggestion?
  17. Shutterdad

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I ordered a Fotodiox adapter from Amazon on Dec 7. I took the cheapest way to ship it because I was really in no hurry. It arrived in the mail on Dec. 13. Not too bad considering the weather earlier in the week. I was excited to see it in the mail.

I went with the model without a tripod mount not thinking it would be necessary since the lenses I plan on using are not that big. I plan on using a Nikkor 28 f/3.5K, Series E 50mm, and Series E100mm. I can now understand why the tripod mount is a good thing to have! They tend not to balance well. I'm keeping this one and plans are now to order another one with a mount. Thanks everyone!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    All I use are my inventory of Canon FD lenses, 24mm to 400mm on the NEX-7.
    Some worthwhile info about the Tri-Pod adapters I went through...3 versions of Fotodiox until I bit the bullet and spent a little more money...ending up with the outstanding CIOCEO7 adapter.
    Rather than reprint it all here, check this thread, posts #509, #511, #517.
  19. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    I use a KIWIfotos adapter for my MD lenses.
    Thing low to mid price range via eBay and no problems so far.
  20. Gandalf

Gandalf TalkEmount Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    Update: Results with the "Fotasy" brand of adapters...

I tried them with two Canon FD lenses, the 20/2.8 and 50/1.4 SSC. Both lenses correctly reached infinity focus with NO OVERSHOOT. In other words, the length of the Fotasy FD-NEX adapter is just what it should be. These adapters are much more accurately machined (in terms of flange focal distance) than the others I have tried. All of the previous adapters I have used have been machined just a bit shorter than the ideal length, resulting in overshooting infinity when the lens is set all the way to the end of its range. Further tests with the FD 50/1.4 showed that the marked distance scale on the focus ring is now accurate. With other brands I have either had to add shims or just accept that I could not prefocus using the distance scale. Problem solved.

I'm still not entirely sold on the too-stiff aperture ring on the Fotasy adapters, but that's a preference and not a problem. Good adapter. I prefer these over the Fotodiox adapter I have, although I don't know yet if Fotasy makes adapters with the tripod mounting foot that is needed for many lenses.
    • Like Like x 1