adapters not working on 5n

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by david6785, Mar 29, 2012.

1. david6785

david6785 New to TalkEmount

Mar 22, 2012
    i bought two adapters on amazon to work with an old minolta 50mm md and it did not work. Any help or suggestions on why its not working or should i try a different adapter. i really dont wont to spend 300 on a 50mm when i have the sigma 30mm coming in the mail.

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Did you set the menu option to allow you to use the shutter without the confirmation from a AF lens? Also, I assume you're using manual or aperture priority mode?

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1

Under settings menu, enable "release w/o lens."

Also, activate "Peaking Level." You've got, Off, Low, Mid, High options.
    You also have a choice for "Peaking Colour." White, Red, Yellow options.

As I understand it, you can use all shooting modes except aperture priority (plus some special effects modes will not be available).

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Sure you can use aperture priority. You choose the aperture on the lens, the camera will set the shutter speed. It's not really different from program mode, though.

The only thing you can't use are as far as I know the iAuto mode.

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Some odd ways to use manual lenses, but it works

[table="width: 100%"]
    [tr]
    [td]Shooting Mode[/td]
    [td]ISO[/td]
    [td]Comments[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]A (Aperture preferred)[/td]
    [td]Auto[/td]
    [td]Camera adjusts shutter speed and ISO for optimal exposure, same as Aperture mode with an E-mount lens, except you change the aperture on the lens instead of electronically with the camera[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]A (Aperture preferred)[/td]
    [td]Specific value[/td]
    [td]Camera adjusts shutter speed for optimal exposure, same as Aperture mode with an E-mount lens, except you change the aperture on the lens instead of electronically with the camera[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]S (Shutter preferred)[/td]
    [td]Auto[/td]
    [td]Camera adjusts ISO for optimal exposure - Same as Manual mode[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]S (Shutter preferred)[/td]
    [td]Specific value[/td]
    [td]No automatic camera adjustments made - Full manual operation[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]P (Program mode)[/td]
    [td]Auto or specific[/td]
    [td]Same as Aperture mode[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]M (Manual mode)[/td]
    [td]Auto[/td]
    [td]Camera adjusts ISO for optimal exposure - Same as Shutter mode[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]M (Manual mode)[/td]
    [td]Specific value[/td]
    [td]No automatic camera adjustments made - Full manual operation[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    While I kind of like being able to use Auto-ISO with S or M modes, it doesn't work out so well since the camera doesn't let you limit how high you want the ISO to be able to go. If I forget I'm in Auto-ISO mode, I'll usually end up with several images at 3200 that I never should have taken. If I could get the camera to stop at 800 or 1600 and tell me I'm underexposed, I'd be much happier with it.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    @dbmiller: Auto-ISO doesn't go higher than 1600, so it's pretty useful.

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I think the 5N will go up to 3200 on Auto ISO... mine does anyway, on all shooting modes including all those in SCENE.

It would be really good to be able to set a preferred maximum on AutoISO though! Perhaps a firmware update in the future?

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, didn't know that. :O The NEX-5 just goes to 1600. I thought they didn't change that.

Anyways, it would be a very useful option to have. Together with a better auto-bracketing.

9. david6785

david6785 New to TalkEmount

Mar 22, 2012
    thanks for the help i got it working and i also got the sigma 30mm in the mail!!! im loving both lenses

10. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I would say that ISO 3200 on the 5N is not too much different in IQ than 1600 on the 5.

But yeah, an option to set maximum auto ISO would be nice. Some people might want it higher depending on what they're doing.

11. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    In what I've observed from my low-light shots at ISO3200 thus far, the grain or noise doesn't seem to be evenly spread across the entire image for some strange reason. The worst affected is in the mid to dark purple/blue-ish Greys. Some hues in both darker shadows and highlight areas appear to have very little grain which is puzzling if not pleasantly surprising.

I only shoot in jpeg, so I don't know if this is also the case when shooting in RAW.

I am so impressed and pleased with my NEX-5N!