• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Adapter - Nikon to Sony

Iansky

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ian Lloyd-Graham
I have tried to do some research on adapters that will allow me to use my good quality Nikon full frame "G" lenses on the Sony A7iii.
There appears to be a lot of mixed feedback with quite a few recommending the Fotodiox version.
If there is anyone out there using Nikon glass on their A7iii / Riii / 9 can you please share your thoughts and recommendations with me please?
I do not shoot video so still photography is the primary concern.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
There's only two worth getting. The Commlite ENF-E1 PRO which has a short tripod foot (do not get the ver. 1 non-PRO, shoddy aperture lever) and the Viltrox ENF-E1. The Commlite cost more, I've seen it go as low as $174 USD on Ebay shipped from Hong Kong. It's an all-metal build and I can confirm it works properly with all Nikon 1.8 and 1.4 G prime lenses, all Sigma Art primes and it works okay with the Nikon fast 2.8 zooms.

The Viltrox cost less (I bought one for about $80 USD off Ebay using discount codes) and actually functions more like a Sony native lens adapter by closing the aperture when the camera is off (Commlite stays open), but the build quality is mostly plastic. It also focuses a tad faster than the Commlite, but is less compatible with lenses (my Nikon 20mm 1.8 works on the Commlite, but not on the Viltrox).

If you plan to really use your Nikon lenses on the Sony for serious shooting, I'd get the Commlite. If you just want something for casual use, I'd get the Viltrox. Make note, both adapters only work with Nikon AF-S, Tamron USD and Sigma HSM lenses.

I owned both at one point, but sold the Viltrox and kept the Commlite!

Both adapters:
30248357378_56179242bd_b.jpg
   ---            

nikon_adapter_01
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Please check out this video:
I don't want anything to happen to your camera!

This is old news, I've been shooting Nikon lenses on Sony bodies for two years. Not to mention the Fotodiox, Vello and other brands are just knock-off or rebranded adapters of the ones I mentioned. The info I've provided is as current as it gets for 2018. That video is from 2016.

Richard Alan Acosta

TalkEmount Regular
This is old news, I've been shooting Nikon lenses on Sony bodies for two years. Not to mention the Fotodiox, Vello and other brands are just knock-off or rebranded adapters of the ones I mentioned. The info I've provided is as current as it gets for 2018. That video is from 2016.

Old news or not, the more feedback, data, and user experience he gets can help him make a decision and avoid a catastrophe. I wouldn't want to see this happen to anyone. That video is a perfect example of not going the cheap route and to ensure one does their research before buying a product.

Iansky

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Ian Lloyd-Graham
Thank you both for the constructive and very useful information, I think as you say Jonathan it is better to pay a little more and get a more reliable adapter especially when fitting an expensive Nikon lens - I will look into UK prices for the Commlite ENF-E1 PRO.

Much appreciated.

Latest threads

Top Bottom