1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapted lenses and video

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by txbkst, Dec 16, 2012.

1. txbkst

txbkst TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    I have a C3 and only adapted FD lenses. Somehow with my kiddo being almost 4 I have shot almost no video of her at all. Many many photos, but maybe 20 or so minutes of video. Now that I have a decent camera (I can't bring myself to use my iPhone or Note 2 for video), I want to give video a try. So, do I need to buy a native lens to really shoot video right?
    Thanks in advance,
    Kim

2. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    You'll have to continually manual focus while maintaining a steady hold on the camera. Without OSS or a tripod that would be pretty difficult. Since your main subject is also a child it would be best to at least get the kit lens for stabilization and AF.

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    ^ +1

Welcome to the forum Kim... :)

4. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    Thanks for the advice and the welcome! So, I am thinking of going with the kit 18-55mm lens. If I get it on Amazon its almost $300. I see some ePacket delivery from HK for around $140. Should I be wary? The seller is 100% positive feedback, which makes me think no. Linky

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'd stay away from Hong Kong/Chinese purchases this time of the year due to postal bottle necks. I normally get stuff from Hong Kong in 1-2 weeks, but this time of year I got an adapter that took 5 weeks to get here!

I'm not from the US but we have a lot of members here that know of better and safer deals to be had in the States. I've also seen hardly used SEL18-55s regularly appear in the Buy and Sell section of this forum.

I'd wait for other members to chime in and see what they say. :)

6. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    ....Alternatively, you could ask yourself how film makers manage when they don't have auto focus available......

Many of the best film/video footage was, and still is, shot with fully manual lenses. Many pro cameramen will ONLY work with focus completely at their constant control. You have 'fd' lenses so what focal lengths do you have to play with?

All FD lenses have depth of field scales, and providing you examine your infinity focus to start with, the depth of field scales can be believed. If you choose shorter rather than longer focal length lens then you will have more depth of field to use. Pick f8 as a starter point with camera set to 'A'...ie, aperture priority,...now set to the hyperfocal distance for f8 by mo0vingn focla point on the lens to the right hand 'f8' position on D of F scale..........

......Now adjust the 'iso' for enough light to use f8,...in rooms you might have to use 1600 iso to allow f8...........Now just start shooting some footage, and then review it........concentrate on NOT going closer than your D of F scale tells you and you will be happily surprised!

Sit your youngster at the table (preferably in good window light from the side) with something she likes to play with or handle,.....place camera on some books at the other side of table,..check focus/framing and run camera,......talk to the child and get her 'going'...make sure theres lots of laughter.....Kids enjoy the 'game' of filming.....Good Luck!

7. txbkst

Nov 27, 2012
    East Texas
    Kim
    I went ahead and ordered a used 18-55mm from someone in Arizona. Hopefully I will get it this week!

@Bugleone, I have a 28/2.8, 35/2.5, 50/1.8, and a 35-105 macro. Thanks for the advice. I love the FD lenses, and I would like to become proficient in using them for video. Noob question, how do I/what do you mean examine my infinity focus?

8. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    The FD lenses are of very high quaility,...unfortunately, that does not always extend to the modern adaptors, most of which have been made in China to both speed and low price requirements. Many of these adaptors are only roughly engineered for the all important 'register distance'...ie, the distance between lens and sensor. This does not really matter when the lens is going to be focussed by means of the rear screen, so if it's a touch thin or thick it does not make any real differance to the user. However, you should check the point of focus at infinity,....find a truly distant subject then focus carefully using the 14x focus aid button, then check the setting of the lens focus ring,...it 'should' be nicely on the infinity mark. If it's 'over or under', note the error and bear it in mind when using your D of F scale so that you can know depth of field reasonably accurately and also set hyperfocal distance properly.

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have shot some video with my FL 55/1.2. Needs a tripod or monopod to get decent results, and I shoot at f2-2.8 to make sure I have a decent enough focus. I actually think I prefer manual mechanical focus rings for video, though it takes a lot more concentration (hence tripods necessary). There's a number of good tripods that come with a detachable leg that converts into a monopod but those monopods are short - I have one by Jusino and didn't even know it till I googled it one day. Nowadays I use my new FZ200 for video though, much better OSS than the SEL1855 (which I've sold a long time ago anyway), but I'm not a serious video shooter at all, it's mostly just to catch stuff with my daughter.