Action

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by blb, Dec 16, 2011.

1. blb

blb TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    I have a Canon t2i and the Nex 5n. I will probably keep the t2i for sports and such and understand that that is not the Sony's strength.
    However, I've been disappointed in how poorly I'm able to capture even minimal to moderate activity (fishing, people cooking) with the 5n.I'm not sure if I'm encountered a bit more shutter lag, or if I'm really just being thrown a bit by the image display and blackout/screen
    freeze that occur after each shot. I'll keep hauling the dslr to the soccer pitch, but I think I outta be able to do better than I am with the 5n when, for instance, I come across a fly-fisherman while out on a hike. Any settings I should be adjusting? Tips? Or is this just the way it is - and I need count on a smaller percentage of hits?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    What mode are you shooting in? Could make a huge difference in whether you get the shot or not.

Also, enabling Electronic first curtain shutter will really reduce shutter lag tremendously.

Tell us how you shoot and we can maybe make some specific recommendations.

3. blb

blb TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    Bimjo: Thanks for the questions. I'm usually shooting in Program, but honestly, not changing much - so basically in full auto. I will enable the electronic first curtain - is that something you suggest leaving on all the time or are there disadvantages in
    some situations?

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Is the focus speed also a problem? If yes, switch to center focus and compose after you've locked the focus. This is quite noticable faster than multi focus in good light. Oh, and you've turned the preview after each shot off, right?

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I leave mine on all the time, no issues so far. You might try using S mode for action shots. Pick a shutter speed that will freeze action (generally anything over 1/100s for what you've described) and let the camera pick the aperture. Using auti ISO will help also.