a900 production has ceased = more development in NEX?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by sadwitch, Oct 3, 2011.

1. sadwitch

sadwitch TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
  2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I don't know if this means that more development resources are going to the NEX system, but I hope that Sony is looking into a full frame version of the NEX. I'm sure the registration distance will create issues, but I'd love to see the world's first mirrorless system camera with a full frame image sensor.

If you had asked me two weeks ago about the future of full frame mirrorless cameras I would have told you that Nikon or Canon will be the first to release a full frame mirrorless camera, but after the announcement of Nikon's 1-system it is clear that Nikon and Canon are too afraid of competing with existing DSLR sales. It's "penny smart" in the short term (because they won't lose DSLR sales to a compact system camera of their own design) but it's "dollar stupid" in the long run (because everyone from consumers to professionals would love to have a physically smaller camera that delivers "big camera" image quality and performance/features).

That said, unless the NEX-7 delivers worse high ISO performance than the NEX-3/NEX-5, I'm probably content with Sony leaving APS-C sensors in the NEX line rather than trying to squeeze a full frame sensor into the body and attach even larger lenses onto the mount.
  3. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    I don't think there's any connection between ending production on the A900 and developing NEX. Sony have been talking about where to go with FF for a while now. The question is whether they continue with a traditional DSLR approach - and 'A950' - or go with an SLT - the 'A99' perhaps. Having developed a range of high end FF lenses I would be very surprised if Sony didn't maintain a presence in this market segment.
  4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    The only 'direct link' is that DSLR's are going under the veil and NEX type are just emerging. The facts are that the DSLR is effectively obsolete apart from certain areas of sports/tele lens work and mirrorless offers big advantages for general photography........

........All the makers know this. Nikons '1' cx system is not the way it is to "protect" their DSLR models,...nikon knows that the writing is on the wall for DSLR and has positioned it's cx model to allow introduction of perhaps two other sized systems one of which will probably be 'FX'.

So, yes, there will be much more developement of NEX type cameras and not only by Sony.
  5. sadwitch

sadwitch TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    True enough. But there seem to be more chances of sony becoming a leader in the mirrorless segment compare to the FF pro segment and I think the lure to do that is greater for them. If they succeed, it'll serve well as a branding message for other cams in their lineup. Nikon is 'late' in the game while Canon still 'no show'