• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A9 vs. A7rIV - My Head Has Cleared

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
BTW... the price of the A7rIV is now back to $3500. The sale is over. My wallet is breathing a sigh of relief and all of a sudden my credit card doesn't feel so warm.
But the price for used A7RIV still remains a bargain as people are selling them to get the A1. Over at Fred miranda dot com B&S board this morning there are 2 lightly used like new A7RIV's for sale at $2,400-$2,500. One has only 775 clicks and is $2,475. It will most likely be gone by days end. Their B&S board is really good, as they make sellers pay a fee to join, so it is relatively safe, especially if you are buying or selling from someone with good feedback.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I know I've said I don't want an A7Riv, and in saner moments that is what I think. But that is so discounted, it really feeds into my occasional GAS.

Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope. :biggrin:

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I know I've said I don't want an A7Riv, and in saner moments that is what I think. But that is so discounted, it really feeds into my occasional GAS.

Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope. :biggrin:
I understand that completely. I have to wonder what the price of a brand-new A7rIV will be the next time it goes on sale. The same goes for the A9II and the A7sIII. A lot of Sony shooters want an A1 now.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I know I've said I don't want an A7Riv
I know I've always said I don't even want full-frame... There's an A7Riv on a local forum, two months old, at a decent price. Yes, because the guy now really, really wants an A1!

Mind you, that decent price is still a lot of money to me. I'm not really tempted. Not really.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
OK. I finally got busy and looked at my A1 vs all comers decision. My wife has been urging me to 'order' a camera ever since I got her that new hot rod sewing machine last month. [See how that works guys?]
My conservative, prudent side took over and I went looking hard at some of the alternatives out there. Found a used A9 on C-list for a decent price and it didn't have a lot of shutter actuations on it either. The owner (young dad with kids he was filming) was moving up to an A1 for the 8k video. He said other than that feature, the A9 was all the camera he needed or wanted. I looked at the A9's harder then, was about to say OK to it, but told him I wanted to get an A1 for the view finder.
Fast forward to yesterday...I'm looking at the B and H site and they have an A9 with less than 200 actuations on it rated at 9- for a nice price. I read up on the latest update software wise to the A9 and DPReview says it makes the AF better than it was before. It brought AI into the equation and all that good stuff. I think it can handle the kids with it updated.
So......I went for it. (A huge gasp goes up from the crowd!)
I figure with the savings over the A1 I can invest in some good lenses, a spare battery and some good cards for it. Speaking of which, what do you guys use?
I've ordered two cards that I thought would compliment the slots of the A9. One is 256 GB and the other is 64 GB and one of those II's that the second slot can handle.(Sorry, I'm being lazy now and not looking up the exact names)
Right now I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for Wednesday's delivery.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I have a Sony Tough M-series card in my A7Riii. It's not had any problems so far, and the thing is obviously solidly built. It even sounds different if you drop it on a hard surface. I mostly bought it for the 4K video, which requires the higher speed cards. I do not use video often but it seemed a shame not to be able to at least try it.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I gotta give credit to the guys at FedEx. My camera arrived this afternoon.:bravo-009:

OK, I will admit to NOT having read the instructions yet, but what is this little doohicky?
DSC01059 (2).JPG
ILCE-9    FE 28mm F2    28mm    f/5.6    1/250s    ISO 640

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I gotta give credit to the guys at FedEx. My camera arrived this afternoon.:bravo-009:

OK, I will admit to NOT having read the instructions yet, but what is this little doohicky?
View attachment 115995

Looks like a cable anchor....to keep the full-sized HDMI and ethernet cables attached to the body, preventing accidental disconnects.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
WNG is exactly right. One came with my A7R3. It took me weeks to finally figure out what it was. Especially useful for tethering, I guess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom