1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A7S question

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by rbelyell, Jan 18, 2015.

1. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    hi, i'm new here, but a pretty old hand on the sister forums. ive been an rx1 user and lover for some time and while i very much enjoy shooting it and the results it gives, i also have a real passion to shoot manual focus lenses. after years with slr/dslr and a variety of mirrorless, i settled on rangefinder glass and an epson rd1 to fulfill that need. the mf epson with legacy glass is a great complement in look, feel and result to my RX1. however, i'm lately considering an A7S as i'd like to add both the ability to shoot my leica lenses FF and in low light, which are the only two things the epson can't do.

my question is ive heard/read conflicting accounts of the a7s ability to properly shoot WA rangefinder lenses--a noted problem for the original a7/r cams. can anyone shed some light on this from direct experience?
    thanks!

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome to talkemount. Not all rf wides are bad, mostly biogons are the problem eg I use CV12mm & CV21mm 1.8 on A7R and there is some color shift but no smearing. Also Leica wate works great. Most of the problem comes from the sensor topping stack difference as lensrentals has been working on that for a while. For A7s use, I think it has same results with less color shift due to lower resolution.

Here is a test that Ron Sheffler did which should answer your question:
    Sony a7S vs. Leica M Typ240 infinity test with 21 Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander rangefinder lenses
    So the solution is replacing the sensor topping and it looks like one firm is starting to do it. Here are some reports:
    A Thinner Sensor Stack
    Modified Sony A7R Sensor Glass: Impact on Rangefinder Lens Performance

My recommendation will be buying a used cheap A7 and replacing the sensor topping since you will loose the Sony warranty. A7 has the same sensor as RX1. Only A7S will give is high ISO advantage at 12MP vs A7 w/ 24MP. Here is the company replacing the sensor toppings and their tests:
    Sony A7 Series Thin Filter Legacy Lens Upgrade
    Also the Kolarivision modification of the A7(r) disables the dust reduction system, and simultaneously enhances the visibility of the sensor dust in the images with the reduced stacking.

• Like Like x 2
  3. rbelyell

Jan 18, 2015
    thank you! my interest in the S is the high iso ability and the silent shutter, two things the other '7' cameras do not have. i'm not overly concerned sbout 'edge sharpness' at infinity at 100% crops--thats not really the way i look at or think about photos. but color shift is another matter, and the S seems to solve that problem. i'd just like to be able to use my rf lenses over 1600, which i cant do with my rd1, and be generally happy if i wind up taking landscapes here and there. however, since i'm generally very happy with my rx1+rd1 setup, i will wait until the S comes down in price. by that time it will either have proved itself or been surpassed by something new! actually my bet is it will have proved itself, but we'll see. definitely interested in other peoples experiences as well!

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Sony is fast with its releases, so eventually A7s II replacement will come and the prices will drop more... Next ones will be A9/A7000/RX2, etc so next A7 II might come in a year or so considering the 1.5year replacement cycle for A7/A7R...

I love the silent shutter also, since I use it with RX1, gm1/gx7. Hopefully more Sony cameras will have that.

On the color shift, most of the rf lenses now have a profile with lightroom/PS so it is very easy to correct it. It is the smearing that you cannot correct and also depends on your lenses...

• Like Like x 1
  5. rbelyell

Jan 18, 2015
    yes, that is a good point about smearing. the only WA i have is the first ed elmarit 21/2.8. i have an interest in the konica m 21/35.

6. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I have A7ii and A7s. I use them for different purposes. I rent an A7r from time to time.
    For fast moving low light, it does not matter what anybody else tells you - nothing beats the output from the A7s. Yes you can downsample the A7ii and A7r and I have tried it, but the results still do not compare, not just on noise, but also on colour accuracy.
    For wide angle lenses they perform better on A7s. They are not perfect but there are enough real world road tests over at SteveHuffPhoto from people who try wide angle voigtlander and Leica and have postitive things to say.

If you can afford to spend the extra money over the A7r or A7ii then I sincerely think it is worth it from a stills perspective with wide angle.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/11/11/the-sony-a7s-handlheld-antelope-canyon/
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/07/01/the-sony-a7s-digital-camera-review-wow-period/
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/07/15/the-sony-a7s-a-new-camera-for-leica-m-lenses-by-ashwin-rao/
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/07/15/the-sony-a7s-a-new-camera-for-leica-m-lenses-by-ashwin-rao/
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_a7s_first_impressions.shtml

It's a great camera and you will not regret it. Picking between the A7ii, A7r and the A7s is hard. All are fantastic and while the A7ii or A7r will produce more detailed images in better light hands down. There is still something very special to the look of big fat pixels.
    Ask many a D700 owner.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rbelyell

Jan 18, 2015
    yeah, i agree about the big fat pixel point. stats dont always tell the story, thats why we play the game, so i dont really care much for dxo stuff. theres alot to be said for 'look'--thats why we use different lenses. right now to my eye the look of the nikon Df cannot be beat, even at 16mps. imo, its hard to beat the look of my 6mp rd1. i love the look of the 10mp m8. so sqeezing the last ounce of resolution out of a sensor really isnt my thing, though i understand others who feel differently.

i havent seen enough to form a definitive opinion, but from what i have seen, it appears the look of the the S is different from the other 7's, and closer to what appeals to my eye. it does appear close in rendering to the Df, though i need to see more. and while that all leads me to the feeling the S might be a really special camera, ive had a ton of digis in all different formats, some real beauties and cult classics. and the next time i pay over $2000 for a camera will be the first time!