1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A7S: for those with really deep pockets

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by TonyTurley, May 19, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I think the 7s will throw indoor event photography on it's head. Stunning high ISO performance combined with a fast lens, what's not to like? Besides the price. :p

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I actually think the price is okay. I just doubt it will make an impact as a video camera, as you can have the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K for not much more money.

Probably not, as the D4S already has incredible high-ISO performance. But it makes high-end event photography equipment much more affordable and smaller.

4. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Honestly? I think you are right. As I shoot commercial and residential real-estate for clients, the A7S could well pay for itself fairly quickly - especially if able to shoot with "available" light (which clients do request for some interiors, especially historic homes). The A7S appears to be more then up to the task, if I believe the reports thus far..

- John

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Will it have the electronic front curtain shutter?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Which, considering the price/size/weight of the D4s, sort of defines standing something on its head. Cheaper/smaller/lighter/same IQ. ;)

Definitely not a camera for he masses, but within its niche... :)

I have not heard.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, wait ... you're totally right! :D

8. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    a7s evf vs. d4s ovf?? if so, it's pretty much a no-brainer, focus magnify is reason enough to get the sony over the nikon.

nikon upped the video bitrate to 48mbps, bloggers still whined :-/ so sony answered with a max bitrate of 28mbps, but they also added clean 4k output, which will seal the deal for some.

these are specialized cameras, for niche use, i wish that i could afford to play!

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I still think for cinematographers, the A7s doesn't hold great value. As a secondary camera for super low light conditions? Sure. But as a main camera, even the GH4 should deliver better quality in a rounder package.

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    . . . and I thought spending ~$1,000 USD for a camera + lens was a lot. Although the high ISO performance looks tantalizing, I doubt I'd go and spend that much on a camera body if someone broke into my house and stole all my camera gear. YMMV

Tony

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, my next upgrade to a system with a bigger sensor is medium format for sure. Don't know when, but I'll hardly spend less then €20k on the digital back, a lens and what else is needed. Oh, if I could just afford those things ... As for thiefs - you might want to consider insuring your camera gear once you spent that much.

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nor would I without a solid revenue stream as a result of buying it. Just to play around? Probably not. :)

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    For most of us, the NEX-6 and 7 and the new A6000 are more than enough.

However for those looking to really get every pixel, the A7 series offers a bit more. You just have to decide if the significant cost is worth it.

14. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I do have a rider on my home insurance policy that covers my camera gear specifically, as well covering accidental breakage if I was to drop one of my cameras.
    Yeah, I'm not a pro, and probably never will be . . . although I have managed to sell exactly two of my photos to people that saw them and wanted to buy a copy.

Yep. Given that I've spent a couple thousand on camera gear in the past two years, including the 5R, I don't see myself buying any new camera gear for a while. I'm actually thinking of selling off some of my lesser used items. Too many lenses that I "needed" that I don't use.

Tony

15. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    So it looks like it's going to be full electronic shutter. Wow. I wonder if there would be a firmware update to make the A7 and A7r do the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I seriously doubt the A7/r could do a full electronic shutter. The A7s NEEDS it for reading out the sensor in 4k (which, basically, is the full sensor resolution), but doing the same thing with 24 or even 36 MP is a much harder task.

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I as well am quite satisfied with my NEX-6. I don't see upgrading for quite some time.

• Like Like x 1