A7Rm2 excessive battery drain on standby

Ad Dieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
For the last few weeks I notice an increasing tendency of my A7Rm2 to deplete the battery fast, even when the camera is switched off. This morning I put in a fully charged battery, showing 100 % in the finder and after a few hours the charge was down to 82 % while the camera had been switched off.

Two weeks ago I tested my 2 older batteries (came with the camera 3.5 years ago) with a home-built discharge unit and they still had a capacity of 750 mAh, while 2 newer batteries show values around 1000 mAh. So all batteries seem to be OK, the older ones just showing 25 % less capacity.

Anybody know what might be causing this behavior? I also posted this on dpreview, as there are a lot more technically inclined users there.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
Of course, on DPR you have the statistics problem, i.e., the correct answer buried in a sea of wrong (and louder) ones. I will be very curious to hear your findings, however.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Are you using any "smart" adapters? I used to see a slight drain if I left a Techart Pro adapter on my A7ii. One of the TAP firmware updates made it much better but even then there was still a slight drain over time.

adwb

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Alistair
Make a note of ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS then use the reset function in the camera menu last page last item and see how it goes?

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Try popping the battery out after shutting the camera off and re-inserting it. If the camera thinks something is still going on with the lens, popping the battery will break that connection.

Ad Dieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
This is the message I just posted on dpreview:

At this moment I haven't been able to reproduce the problem that the camera drains the battery in standby: I took one of my older batteries, let it sit in the camera for a few hours and the display still shows 100 % capacity left. Earlier attempts with other batteries showed the same result.
The quick drain during use may very well be the low temperatures of the last week, slightly above 0º C.
So I'm guessing I had a fluke accident, everything seems to be normal now. Everybody thanks for your help.

I did not reset the camera to its factory settings (yet). In the meantime I popped out the battery a few times, mostly to exchange a well run-down battery. I now remember that I changed a lens while the camera was still switched on, something I normally never do; maybe that caused some havoc, preventing the camera to go into proper standby. I think I also charged the battery in-camera lately and that might well be when the problem occurred, don't remember exactly.

Well, when this problem occurs again, I'll pop out the battery and let the camera sit for a few hours without a battery. See what happens next time. On another note, the reactions in my dpreview thread were on-point, polite and helpful.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom