A7RIII

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
for me it isn't even looking at a7iii or a7riii pics... it's examining my a6500 files vs my a7ii sigh...WHY is the low light IQ of my aps-c sensor better than that of my full frame..? been itching to sell my a7ii and get the a7iii each day I put it off, i'm only hurting myself (doh!)
It's that noticeable, Matt? And here I had talked myself out of upgrading from the A7ii for a while. Thanks. :shakehead: :laugh:

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
it's examining my a6500 files vs my a7ii sigh...WHY is the low light IQ of my aps-c sensor better than that of my full frame..?
Uh...what? My A7RII is quite a bit better than my a6500 in low light. By 2-3 stops.
Weird.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
for me it isn't even looking at a7iii or a7riii pics... it's examining my a6500 files vs my a7ii sigh...WHY is the low light IQ of my aps-c sensor better than that of my full frame..?
Uh...what? My A7RII is quite a bit better than my a6500 in low light.
Based on DxOmark*, the A7 II has a slightly less than one stop noise advantage on the A6500 throughout most of the ISO range, and the A7R II looks to have about half a stop on the A7 II.

*I know they are controversial, but I find they correlate well with real results when it comes to high ISO detail relative to noise at matched output size.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Meanwhile, the A7R II, A7R III, and A7 III are all about the same in that regard:

Last edited:

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
i'll try and put some things side by side. I just find the noise in low light shots with my a6500 to be much more pleasing to my eye than from the a7ii.. not to mention the focus feels much faster.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
It is worth pointing out that the dynamic range improvements (dual gain) in the A6500 allow the deeper colors to be more clearly retained, which improves the IQ in final results not insignificantly (e.g. easier for noise reduction algorithms to know what to kill). I couldn't believe at first that I was staring at more than one stop improvement in my final results between A7 and A7iii, but pretty much everyone seems to have been reporting similar IQ gains. This is why the latest generation feel significantly better than the last generation of A7 (mkIIIs vs mkI/IIs), and I believe why the A6500 outperforms its measured specs.

Last edited:

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
It is worth pointing out that the dynamic range improvements (dual gain) in the A6500 allow the deeper colors to be more clearly retained, which improves the IQ in final results not insignificantly (e.g. easier for noise reduction algorithms to know what to kill). I couldn't believe at first that I was staring at more than one stop improvement in my final results between A7 and A7iii, but pretty much everyone seems to have been reporting similar IQ gains. This is why the latest generation feel significantly better than the last generation of A7 (mkIIIs vs mkI/IIs), and I believe why the A6500 outperforms its measured specs.

View attachment 93424
I knew I wasn't crazy

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina

View attachment 93424
When I last used this the A7RIII test photos seemed to be out of focus!

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
A7RIII FE55 1.8 iso 100 (tiny bit of grain in post)

runnerpsu

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Earlier tonight, I decided to download some RAW photos taken with an A7RIII to see how my 2013 MBP and LR handled the files. I was surprised to see the file size at 84 meg. Here is the site Sony A7R III Review - Gallery I downloaded from.

Are these files uncompressed?

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Earlier tonight, I decided to download some RAW photos taken with an A7RIII to see how my 2013 MBP and LR handled the files. I was surprised to see the file size at 84 meg. Here is the site Sony A7R III Review - Gallery I downloaded from.

Are these files uncompressed?
What a great idea! Thanks for the link. Time to see how long the ol' system will batch process these.

runnerpsu

TalkEmount Top Veteran
What a great idea! Thanks for the link. Time to see how long the ol' system will batch process these.
I downloaded a dozen files. It did take a ver seconds to load the first photo but the other 11 loaded quicker.

christilou

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Christina
I had a call yesterday to say that they have a replacement A7RIII for me now... but they are happy to exchange it for the 7III or anything else..... today I find there's an offer in the UK on the A7RIII £300 off..... I have 14 days to make up my mind!!!

TedG954

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
Hmmm..... file size. What's a Terabyte times a Terabyte?

I'm researching some new alternative computer platforms to handle those files. The biggest problem I'm running into is the Workers Compensation policies between Florida and Ohio. Well, that and hiring 2 assistants willing to split residences.

TedG954

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
And, in all seriousness, I can remember never shooting over ISO 400......

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Hmmm..... file size. What's a Terabyte times a Terabyte?
That would be a yottabyte, I believe.

And, in all seriousness, I can remember never shooting over ISO 400......
I mostly shoot outdoors so I seldom go very high either. Even indoors I try to keep it under 1600 because mentally, I always have. I could probably push it a little more if need be on my obsolete A7ii.

There are multiple technical discussions going on over at dpreview on what impact ISO and ISO-invariance have on shooting with current bodies. While mildly interesting to me on a technical level, I think most of us can use the traditional exposure triangle concept and get something reasonable. And if you shoot RAW, you have a lot of ability to adjust in post if you do get it wrong. Maybe pro shooters need their info.

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
That would be a yottabyte, I believe.

I mostly shoot outdoors so I seldom go very high either. Even indoors I try to keep it under 1600 because mentally, I always have. I could probably push it a little more if need be on my obsolete A7ii.

There are multiple technical discussions going on over at dpreview on what impact ISO and ISO-invariance have on shooting with current bodies. While mildly interesting to me on a technical level, I think most of us can use the traditional exposure triangle concept and get something reasonable. And if you shoot RAW, you have a lot of ability to adjust in post if you do get it wrong. Maybe pro shooters need their info.
I've never worried about using high iso, even using 6400 or higher I've got excellent images. Modern cameras have excellent high iso performance so I exploit it.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
I didn't see any changes in IQ from Rii to Riii, mostly usability improvement bigger battery, touch screen/joystick for manual focusing. I was not looking to upgrade, but I guess A7III pushed down the used R3 prices down in US. Eye af and af with third party lenses are good, need to test more since I need to upgrade the adapters.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom