A7Riii in APS-C or A6500 for birding?

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I see a lot of my friends are shooting APS-C for wildlife/birds. An A6500 would take up no space in my bag in a side pocket, but would it be much better than just shooting in APS-C crop mode in my A7Riii? I wouldn't mind having a second lens on an A6500 thrown over my shoulder, even with the 70-300 for quick shots over my 100-400GM/1.4x which stays on the A7riii (or A9).

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I use an a6500 for wildlife/sports
The A7Riii in crop mode is 18 megapixels vs 24 megapixels on the a6500. And I think you'll get one extra frame per second (11 vs 10) than the A7Riii.

SRHEdD

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I’ll be old and feeble by the time they finally do... and not sure I want to drop 2k on an APS-C body. Plus, they won’t release it until I get an A6500... that’s how it works for me.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
That's kind of the reason I haven't bought a new e-mount camera in the last year and a half. Vaguely waiting for the pro Sony APS-C to come out. But I don't do that much wildlife/sports shooting, and a A7iii would cover both genres for me. But then I do like the extra megapixels of my A7Rii, and can't quite afford an A7Riii to replace it.

In the meantime, resale value on my two bodies takes a nosedive.

I am eternally conflicted.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Too much choice!

I'd stump up for an A7000 if it had the AF and burst capacity needed for birds in flight. It would stretch my Sony lens and TC into the really useful zone.

I have an acquaintance who shoots birds with the 7Riii and FE 100-400 and has real trouble getting sharp shots. It's not clear what the issue is but for certain a hi res sensor is going to show up weaknesses in gear and technique.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom