• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A7Rii purchase

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for humoring me, guys! Taking another look at this one:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1633821

He's willing to work a deal if I also bought his pretty minty looking Zeiss Loxia 50mm (Manual focus, as many of you are aware already. I just wanted to make it clear that I know that). $1275 plus shipping. The wear on this camera is obviously from a camera strap in his bag, so i'm not overly concerned. But this is another on my list. They seem to come up at least 1 or 2 a week on the FM forum, so this is just a matter of waiting on the right deal, I guess. The tradeoff here is a little camera strap wear vs 8 extra batteries which could come in handy. If he was local, i'm sure i'd own it already. But shipping from Canada to the US....

---            

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
WHEW! I think I just made a deal for one! A7Rii with like 20k clicks, recently cleaned at a sony pro center (no damage - the seller is a sony pro member and had both this and an Riii cleaned after he came back from a trip) and a Zeiss 55mm 1.8 in as near meant condition as possible. Both in box with all accessories, etc. $1400. Not a STEAL, but definitely a fair price, I think. He was asking $875 for the body and $675 for the lens. Only wear on the camera is on the bottom, that got a little scuffed up from a cheap L plate.

Now I wait....

Also wanted to mention that I bought Richard's a6500 as offered a few posts above. I mention it because I don't believe i've ever had an online transaction as smooth as that one. Richard was fair priced, communicative, and shipped super fast. He was a pleasure to deal with. Thanks Richard!

-James

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
Congrats on BOTH camera's James.
Thanks! The camera itself may or may not have been a slightly better deal than the others I was looking at, but this was the first one I felt "right" about from the get-go. I even felt like $1400 would be a super fair price (was figuring $900 shipped for the camera and $500 shipped for the lens), but the haggler in me couldn't help but offer him $1300. When he came back with $1400, I knew it was meant to be.

Next project - organizing batteries! Anyone know a good way to test the sony batteries to see how well they're holding up (other than using them)?

-James

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
It must have been on my Nikon D7000 that there was a battery condition menu item that would give you status on the battery. All I can see on my A7iii is the battery charge status on the display.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
A7Rii showed up today and, for the second time within a few days, i've felt that rare 100% satisfaction with a purchase. As with Richard's a6500, the camera showed up meticulously packaged and exactly as described. Actually, it looks BETTER than the description and photo suggested. I also feel that fleeting sense of GAS relief...I don't even feel so urgent about picking up a Zeiss 35mm 2.8 or the LA-EA4 (I knew purchasing the LA-EA2 a couple years ago would come back to bite me!). I'm sure that will wear off in a few days, but right now i'm super happy.

Thanks to everyone early in the thread who quickly talked me out of the 200k shutter count A7Rii that was available locally. It's possible I could have gotten it for $500...and it's possible I would have been happy. But I don't think I would have felt as content and I certainly don't think it would have lasted as long.

-James

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Hey James!
That is fantastic that it all worked out to your satisfaction.
Now, all we need is a PICTURE of both your new cameras and we'll be all set too.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
Maybe tomorrow I can get them together for a play date.

I will say this - I don't know if it's the A7Rii, the 55mm1.8 or both, but the pop I got taking pictures of random people in the office was new for me. I might even want to try this lens on the a6500 for some portraits!

-James

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Maybe tomorrow I can get them together for a play date.

I will say this - I don't know if it's the A7Rii, the 55mm1.8 or both, but the pop I got taking pictures of random people in the office was new for me. I might even want to try this lens on the a6500 for some portraits!

-James
I have been quite impressed with the results from ny Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS lens when I used it on the A6500! I am sure that the 55mm (82.5mm equivalent) would do as well, if not better. I love the APSC format for shooting people because I think that the crop factor generally helps by resulting in an equivalent focal length longer than the focal length of the lens on a full frame camera.

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
WHEW! I think I just made a deal for one! A7Rii with like 20k clicks, recently cleaned at a sony pro center (no damage - the seller is a sony pro member and had both this and an Riii cleaned after he came back from a trip) and a Zeiss 55mm 1.8 in as near meant condition as possible. Both in box with all accessories, etc. $1400. Not a STEAL, but definitely a fair price, I think. He was asking $875 for the body and $675 for the lens. Only wear on the camera is on the bottom, that got a little scuffed up from a cheap L plate.

Now I wait....

Also wanted to mention that I bought Richard's a6500 as offered a few posts above. I mention it because I don't believe i've ever had an online transaction as smooth as that one. Richard was fair priced, communicative, and shipped super fast. He was a pleasure to deal with. Thanks Richard!

-James
Nice job! I think you got a fair deal and will really enjoy the combination. Have fun!

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I have read that you can peel off that top layer then replace it, either with the Sony part or just one of the many screen protectors available. It is just a protective layer, or so I have read.

Disclaimer: I have never tried this for myself. Proceed at your own risk!
This is true. It’s essentially a screen protector that comes on the camera. It peels off and you can put a new one on. I bought an A7 that looked just like that and I fixed it for about 15 usd for the new screen cover.

Latest posts

Top Bottom