A7Rii purchase

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
The screen isn't scratched, it's just the coating has worn off. I have the same condition on my A7ii. I've tried to rub the coating completely off but the last bit in the center is really tough and just won't come off.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It doesn't effect the use of the camera at all. It just makes it a little harder to see the screen when out doors in bright light.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I have read that you can peel off that top layer then replace it, either with the Sony part or just one of the many screen protectors available. It is just a protective layer, or so I have read.

Disclaimer: I have never tried this for myself. Proceed at your own risk!

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
For $1000, a body and Zeiss 55mm, I'd have to seriously consider. The scratched screen is not a major problem. And the peeling vinyl over the SD card door looks to have lifted due to use, and probably could be glued back in place easily.
The screen issue is due to the outer coated film being scratched. There is a factory replacement from Sony. Or you can peel it off and replace it with a hard 'glass' aftermarket LCD cover.
There was a thread here on its replacement.
If you decide to go with it, I think this is the part that is damaged if you should want to replace it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Alpha...359956?hash=item5698b7a654:g:vsgAAOSwWiBY~io-
The screen isn't scratched, it's just the coating has worn off. I have the same condition on my A7ii. I've tried to rub the coating completely off but the last bit in the center is really tough and just won't come off.
It doesn't effect the use of the camera at all. It just makes it a little harder to see the screen when out doors in bright light.
Thanks, Guys! I sent the guy an email but haven't heard back. So it may not be an option...or it's already sold and he's ignoring me.

Here's another thought - I was somewhere else discussing this and was seriously pressed to go with an A7iii over the A7Rii. You guys know I love my adapted lenses...but I also loved shooting the native lenses on the A6000. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I was hoping to continue my manual lens tradition, but also get some of the cooler Zeiss lenses like the 55mm 1.8, the 35mm 2.8 for walking around and even the loxia manual focus lenses were looking swell for me.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I would recommend an A7iii over an older model Rii, if you don't need the extra mega pixels.
I've collected 3 Sony lenses so far. I've also gotten lazy and haven't had a manual focus lens on either of my camera's for too long now.
I'm just waiting for the Spring car shows to start up so I can shoot with my newest lens to see how it compares to a manual.
I know this doesn't help much, but I think the A7iii is a great camera all around.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
Maybe once they can be had for under a grand! I've got feelers out to a couple right around the $1k price point where i've asked if they are flexible at all on price. Can't help asking! I might pay asking price if I didn't have to drive far...I JUST MISSED one I asked about on facebook. Mint condition, 1200 actuations. He was asking $1150. I asked him if it was still available and if he was flexible in price and he replied saying he sold it 30 minutes ago for 950. OH WELL! :(

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Good deals usually disappear pretty fast. Keep your eyes peeled and jump on it when you see something you like. Be persistent and patient. It could take a few weeks.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
I just just pounced on one on FM that is about 25 miles from me. He seems insistent on shipping instead of meeting, though, and offered $990. Low clicks and looks to be good shape, but he had gaffer tape on it so there's some residue. I really wanted to see that in person. decisions...

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
I can totally get that tape residue off safely with some alcohol, right? Low shutter count, not abused...

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Yes I would assume the residue will come off with IPA.

What I'm wondering is why someone wouldn't be willing to meet person to person. I'd offer to meet at his bank and be prepared to deal in cash. Safe for you and him. He can get the bank to run the bills thru their counter to check that their good.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
Yes I would assume the residue will come off with IPA.

What I'm wondering is why someone wouldn't be willing to meet person to person. I'd offer to meet at his bank and be prepared to deal in cash. Safe for you and him. He can get the bank to run the bills thru their counter to check that their good.
Sounds like things are busy at home and he prefers to just pop it in the mail at lunch. He's got great seller feedback on FM, so i'm not concerned. Would just be easier for me to deal in cash.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Not trying to talk you out of going for it, just trying to make sure you do your do diligence in getting what you want.
Good luck!
Keep us informed.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
Not trying to talk you out of going for it, just trying to make sure you do your do diligence in getting what you want.
Good luck!
Keep us informed.
Yeah, I agree. The not meeting in person takes away the benefit of being local. I mean, it'll be here next day with priority mail instead of two days...but still.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Normally, the oddities would make this too suspicious to pursue for me, but he does have really excellent feedback. I feel he is legit and not a scammer or worse, and everything will probably be fine. It is just a little odd that he will not meet in person, and that he did not clean the residue off himself, to make it more appealing for sale. But some people are like that. I agree you will likely not have any problem getting the residue off.

He is covering Paypal fees, and Paypal is extremely likely to side with you as a buyer should something go awry (i.e. you'd get your money back). Make sure you are paying for merchandise and not using "friends and family" or if you do use "send money" I believe Paypal will ask if it is for merchandise and tell you about the fee. It would be best if he sends you a request/invoice.

If he insists on shipping, I would consider letting him do so as long as you have the Paypal protection.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
He's also advertising on ebay as well for $1100. As for the residue, I asked him if it seemed like it could be cleaned off and he said probably, and that he thought about using alcohol, but wasn't sure if he'd damage anything further. Seems like he's being cautious. I'm 100% sure he's legit. Just trying to figure out if it's worth the $990 he went down to. I told him for $960, i'd take it right away. Considering paypal fees and shipping, that's in line with the other cameras I was working on deals for.

-James

Latest posts

Top Bottom