• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A7Rii purchase

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
So i'm finally looking to upgrade my a6000 and am looking towards full frame. I've decided I want to stick with the A7R line. I had thought about an A6500 to still take advantage of my 24mm Zeiss and Samyang 12mm, but honestly I can still use those in crop mode. I think the advantage of the better sensor (and dynamic range?) outweighs the 18mp(or whatever the A7Rii drops to in crop mode) vs 24mp of the a6000. Anyway, i've just been casually looking lately now that prices used are down closer to $1000 and one came up locally. A guy is selling two of them. A professional photographer. One has recently been serviced and has a new shutter (that one is more obviouslly cosmetically used) and the other one is working perfectly as of now and has 200,000 actuations. So they're not spring chickens. He replaced them with an A7Riii and iv for daily use.

The main use of my a6000 right now is with the 24mm of a zoom for family stuff (I bought a Zeiss 24-70 f4 in anticipation of an eventual full frame a year or so ago) and then lots of legacy glass adapted for most other things. Mostly what I hope to gain is a better sensor and in body stabilization for my legacy glass. If I bought the A7Rii, i'd probably start looking for a deal on a good native 35mm lens for it as the 24mm zeiss is one of my favorite lenses and focal lengths on my a6000.

I'm going to check them out this weekend, but wondering if I should have any concerns about the 200,000 actuations and/or replacement shutter and what I should be offering for price (ballpark). If this were on ebay, i'd certainly pass as there are other options, but being able to buy local and in person, check them out first and even compare it to his R3 and R4 is pretty valuable.

Any thoughts?
-James

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
For my money, over 200k actuations would have to be priced under $500 to make it worth while. I don't know what the shutters are rated for but I've never heard of one being more than 250k.
I also appreciate the 'see it, handle it, try it' factor but still, 200k is 200k.

I'd recommend you keep looking. Any brick and mortar shops in your neck of the woods?

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For my money, over 200k actuations would have to be priced under $500 to make it worth while. I don't know what the shutters are rated for but I've never heard of one being more than 250k.
I also appreciate the 'see it, handle it, try it' factor but still, 200k is 200k.

I'd recommend you keep looking. Any brick and mortar shops in your neck of the woods?
Thanks - nothing worth checking out for a used Sony. Sony states that 500k actuations is the shutter life on the A7R2, but i tend to think care and feeding has much more to do with it. If I could get it for $500, that would be worthwhile, but ebay prices are usually $800-$1200. My range is the sub $1k range. Once i hit that threshold, I see the value in just buying new for $1500, and $1500 isn't something I can spend on a camera any time soon!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I would not do 200k either. There are excellent deals on A7R2s for around $1000 over on FM's buy-n-sell, an excellent place versus say ebay. Here is one with 6590 clicks, includes 4 extra batteries and a grip for $1075 including PayPal protection and shipping.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1636195

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
That's a great find Bob.
I don't hang out on FM, so this is what is great about this forum. Other's find stuff that is not on someone else's radar so to speak.
If I were James I'd be jumping on that rather than looking at those 200k count cameras.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
There is a used Sony A7Rii on Adorama for $1049... I don't know how many accuations.

However, I have a Sony A6500 in excellent shape with very low actuations that I will sell for $500...

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I have bought a lot of my used stuff on FM. Like any user-to-user marketplace, you do need to exercise a little caution, but active established members over there are great to deal with and so far I have never had a problem. Of course I check here first. No really I do and have bought some things here as well. :cool:

If that one gets snatched up, you just need to keep an open eye. I saw some great A7R2 deals when I was searching for a body upgrade. The good ones go pretty fast.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
I would not do 200k either. There are excellent deals on A7R2s for around $1000 over on FM's buy-n-sell, an excellent place versus say ebay. Here is one with 6590 clicks, includes 4 extra batteries and a grip for $1075 including PayPal protection and shipping.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1636195
That's a pretty nice listing, actually. I was looking over on the FM forums and the search seems to suck. I think the tradeoff between ebay and a forum is the buyer protection of ebay (although there's always paypal protection for forum purchases) vs knowing it's from an enthusiast on a forum. I'm probably way off, but I always feel like gear has had a better life if I buy it from a forum.
There is a used Sony A7Rii on Adorama for $1049... I don't know how many accuations.

However, I have a Sony A6500 in excellent shape with very low actuations that I will sell for $500...
Adorama is a pretty safe bet. However - there's a nagging feeling inside that is screaming that if I don't go for UNDER $1k, I should buy new. And it looks as though I can get it new right now for $1400 from some dealers. Which seems like a steal. I PM'ed you about the a6500, but I'm still on the A7Rii hunt.

I have bought a lot of my used stuff on FM. Like any user-to-user marketplace, you do need to exercise a little caution, but active established members over there are great to deal with and so far I have never had a problem. Of course I check here first. No really I do and have bought some things here as well. :cool:

If that one gets snatched up, you just need to keep an open eye. I saw some great A7R2 deals when I was searching for a body upgrade. The good ones go pretty fast.
Yep. I'm a veteran of forum transactions. From guitars to audio gear to some photography stuff (I think I may have gotten my a6000 from a member here as well as my Zeiss 24-70f4). $1000 is pushing the upper limits of "uht oh" if something goes wrong, but you run that risk on ebay as well!

-James

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
Was thinking about making this guy an offer:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1633821

Any suggestions? At $900 i'd be saving $500 off new - which is significant. $16k actuations. I was considering offering him $800. After shipping, etc. (I suspect he'd want the paypal fees) - unless he's somewhere I can meet him. Doesn't say his location. - seems pretty reasonable. $800 is way more my speed.

-James

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Even considering he is not including shipping/Paypal, with all the extra batteries and the L-bracket $800 might be a little low. You have nothing to lose by asking, though.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
I already asked if he was flexible - he's not. Considering shipping (and he's in canada, i'm in the US), i'm still looking. I did see another one, though. A little more, and about double the actuations, but he is open to offers. I just don't know what to offer. Ad states up front that paypal and shipping is on him. "manual, battery, charger and box. Excellent condition, light use. Light body wear."

What's a good price for 30k actuations and good condition in the box? No extras on this one. At $850 I could save $600 off new - which is pretty good to me and won't have me regretting not buying new!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Just a brief look, to me the going price for moderate actuations seems to be around $900 for a body with original box and accessories including shipping, and sometimes Paypal. The Paypal fee is 3%, shipping will vary obviously. Look at the titles prefixed with "Sold" as well as current sales to ballpark going prices.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
the 30k actuation guy wants at least $950 - that's shipped and paypal fees included - so $950 total from me. So i'm on the fence. There are probably other deals out there I should look at.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
Here's an interesting one. A7Rii, Zeiss 55mm and some kind of mic setup for $1,000. Not sure of the shutter count, but it looks as if this was used mostly for video. The screen doesn't look great, and the battery cover is...peeling? I have been trying to work on a deal for a similar setup that's MINT with low shutter count and the seller wants $1550 for the body and Zeiss 55mm. Both are within range to go in person, but not particularly close. I'm noticing the screen thing being a theme on these. Was there an issue with screens on the A7RII?

The battery compartment is the only thing I think would bug me on the $1000 one. But does it bug me $550? Tough to beat $1000 even if the $1550 one is mint...

---            

---            

---            

---            

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The Sony-Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 is a stellar lens. However, just like buying a car, I would be wary of purchasing a camera that evidenced a lot of wear because there "could be" hidden problems waiting to happen...

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
The Sony-Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 is a stellar lens. However, just like buying a car, I would be wary of purchasing a camera that evidenced a lot of wear because there "could be" hidden problems waiting to happen...
Sound advice, Richard. The $1550 seems like a fair price for the combo, but $1,000 is hard to ignore (although I emailed them about it and they have yet to reply). The $1000 one is on craigslist, while the $1550 one is on Facebook. While I dislike facebook (only started looking there again recently after needing to join a group for some scanner assistance and this A7Rii hunt), you instantly know more than you ever need to know about the person you are buying from. They were asking $1650 and I asked if he could get closer to $1400. It looks like the 55mm is normally $500-$600 used, unless I am mistaken. Hoping to get that lens as well as the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 for now. If I end up with just a body, i'll most likely get the 35mm 2.8 first as it's cheaper and more useful to me.

So we shall see! I'm getting closer, but not any less thrifty, as I (as you know) just added an a6500 to the stable. That was a welcomed surprise as I was thinking about how much I was going to miss using my Zeiss 24mm. I was considering using it in crop mode on the A7Rii (which I still might), but it's just not the same as having that small combo!

-James

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
For $1000, a body and Zeiss 55mm, I'd have to seriously consider. The scratched screen is not a major problem. And the peeling vinyl over the SD card door looks to have lifted due to use, and probably could be glued back in place easily.
The screen issue is due to the outer coated film being scratched. There is a factory replacement from Sony. Or you can peel it off and replace it with a hard 'glass' aftermarket LCD cover.
There was a thread here on its replacement.

Top Bottom