• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A7Rii LCD Screen Replacement

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
The LCD screen on my camera has become rather annoying:

sony lcd.jpg
   ---            

So I've decided to replace it. A replacement from Sony sells for $88, and they show the following parts as being commonly replaced (or at least sold) in connection with the LCD panel:

sony parts.JPG
   ---            

So my questions for those who have been through replacing the LCD panel already are i) is it a DIY project or am I inviting disaster? I assemble my own PCs and have worked with ribbon cables before on HP printers, so I'm not afraid to tackle the replacement if the degree of difficulty isn't too great or many special tools are needed. Next, which of the above extra parts are needed? All of them? Just a few, or are all optional? Then, what special tools are necessary? And finally, I didn't see in DIY posts on this Board - does anyone have a link to a good DIY video?

adwb

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Alistair
You do realise that there is a screen cover which has the Sony logo printed on it which with bit of gentle heat you can remove and replace? your screen is not broken or cracked by the look of it?

Sony Screen Protector

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
I was under the impression that the screen protector you mention is applied on top of the LCD panel, and is not actually part of it (at least the parts diagram does not show it). I think my panel is actually delaminating with all of those bubbles, but yes, it is not cracked.

adwb

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Alistair
I would still remove the protector first and see what looks like.
I had I thought a bad scratch on mine, turned out to just be the hard protector screen cover

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I can certainly see why you want to change the screen. Let us know how it works out.

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
Very helpful! Not much different than installing a screen protector onto a cell phone. I'll do this instead of replacing the LCD. Thanks so much for the link.

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
I was under the impression that the screen protector you mention is applied on top of the LCD panel, and is not actually part of it (at least the parts diagram does not show it). I think my panel is actually delaminating with all of those bubbles, but yes, it is not cracked.

My NEX5T was like yours and I removed Sony's protector. And I think I viewed that same video before I did it. I cleaned it up and applied an aftermarket protector and everything was good to go. Just be careful removing the original.

Last edited:

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My A7ii looks as bad as that camera when he started. I guess I'm at a loss as to why they put a plastic piece on the glass in the first place. It's not as hard as the glass so will scratch and bubbles will form under it. Maybe I should just replace mine too, then I'd have an almost mint a7ii as well as my new camera.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
My A7ii looks as bad as that camera when he started. I guess I'm at a loss as to why they put a plastic piece on the glass in the first place. It's not as hard as the glass so will scratch and bubbles will form under it. Maybe I should just replace mine too, then I'd have an almost mint a7ii as well as my new camera.

It's an anti-glare film. It also polarizes the LCD screen.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
So help me out here Will.
If you remove the old 'protector' you loose both anti-glare and polarization if you put a 'hard glass' protector on.
Where's the gain?

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
So help me out here Will.
If you remove the old 'protector' you loose both anti-glare and polarization if you put a 'hard glass' protector on.
Where's the gain?

One can opt to buy the original Sony film... if they wish to keep the original spec. Some people prefer to not have it because the screen goes black when they rotate the camera 90 degrees. If you are wearing polarized glasses, it's a problem, or filming a video of the back of the camera with a CPL.
The aftermarket 'hard cover' usually have some anti-glare.
I went with one on top of the factory film, so I have the hard glass protection. But to be frank, it's not that 'hard'. It still chips.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
So you added the glass protector to the original film from the factory, interesting.
I think I'd like to go with the original if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Now that I think about it, maybe not since I just got new polarized glasses...hmmm.
I think I need to get my camera out and use it some. My ii will def need a new something or other as it looks bad, or rather could look a lot better. Still works fine.

Last edited:

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
And now, as Paul Harvey used to say, here's the rest of story. I went to the B&H Photo website and ordered the Kenko LCD Monitor Protection Film for the Sony a7R II. Its packaging states that the cover is anti-reflective, anti-scratch, and anti-smudge. Sounded good to me.

First step was to remove the offending old layer of protective film. I used a hair dryer to slightly heat up the surface to make release of the adhesive easier. After carefully getting one corner started, I gently peeled the film off of the LCD. The result:

a7r2 film.jpg
Apple    iPhone 8 Plus back dual camera 3.99mm f/1.8    4mm    f/1.8    1/5s    ISO 100

I then cleaned the LCD prior to installing the Kenko film. Once I was satisfied the LCD was pristine, I peeled away the bottom layer of the protection film and then carefully aligned the film into position on the LCD. As it drops onto the surface, it just automatically clings to the surface of the LCD. At this point, you peel away the upper layer of the protection film and gently press out any air bubbles (I had one small one near the center bottom of the LCD). I did a final overall wiping of the screen to make certain the film was evenly attached, and then all done. The entire process, start to finish, required less than 10 minutes. I can't believe I waited so long to do this. Highly recommended if your LCD looks similar to what mine used to look like.

To save you having to scroll back for comparison, here's the before condition:

sony lcd.jpg
   ---            

And here's the after, with new protective film on LCD. It's truly like having a new camera.

a7r2 after.jpg
   ---            

Attachments

• sony lcd.jpg
    sony lcd.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 196

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Looks great! And thanks for sharing "the rest of the story". :bravo-009:

Latest threads