1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A7RII in stock

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 31, 2015.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    (holding hands to his ears) La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La La !!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Am I reading that right...basically an expensive high tech fully automated point & shoot camera?

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Nope, not reading it right. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Maybe I overlooked some text somewhere that listed something that only worked in manual mode...oh wait, I know...the user has to turn the camera on.
    :)
    And my first car didn't cost that much

6. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    It's in many ways as revolutionary as the NEX-7 was but Full Frame vs Aps-c. Add in body stabilization, the best EVF available, state of the art AF and the latest sensor technology. Compared to other cameras in it's class it's actually priced reasonably; and the best part is you can still shoot manually and use focus peaking for manual focusing if you so desire. Not it my budget but excited that these advancements will trickle down to lesser cameras.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I was just having some fun...

• Like Like x 1
  8. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks for the report Amin.

Yesterday afternoon after reading your report I contacted B&H, requested and RMA for my recently-purchased A7ii in exchange for a new A7Rii. They sent the RMA label (after I requested a pre-paid version since I was exchanging for a camera that cost twice as much), I packed up the A7ii and ran it to the UPS Customer Center (hoping I hadn't missed the days shipment to NYC), and away it went. I hope they still have one by the time my return gets there. If I'm lucky, I'll have the Rii by the end of the week! Whoopie!

• Like Like x 2
  9. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    OK, I won't. There are a lot of reviews on the A7Rii and if you look at all of them, the vast majority are positive (and I assume this one is negative - since I am not reading it :) ). Thanks Robbie.

--- edit ---
    Oops Robbie, I thought you were writing to me, but now I see you were not.

11. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Update:
    I am not 100% sure this is happening, but it appears (based on B&H emails) that the A7Rii will be shipped this afternoon (and hence arrive here in Maryland tomorrow). If this happens the timeline will be:
    RMA requested Monday > return shipped Monday evening > return received at NYC Tuesday > new camera shipped Tuesday afternoon > received Wednesday!

While this may not seem to be a big deal to some (knowing that Maryland is only a few hours from NYC), I have never seen things happen this fast before! I am pleased! Even if the A7Rii doesn't arrive for a day or two, I will still be pleased!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    :drool: Oh, to have a spare $3200 laying around.
    Hmmm, better go buy a lottery ticket. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No kidding, Steve. Somebody wake me up when the price drops down below US$2500. :p

14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Got it! I am thrilled with the delivery speed by B&H! Now why am I posting when I could be playing with the camera?

• Like Like x 4
  16. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I had the camera out on the ride into work, at lunchtime, and again late in the afternoon.

On the way into work I decided to test the high ISO (or thought I would anyway). I took an especially dark back road where there is a particular log cabin that I always wanted to photograph. The road has virtually no berm and with tree-lined edges there is no way to safely stop and get out of the car to work. So I decided I would set (prefer) the shutter (S) at 1/8000, set the ISO at auto (hoping it would crank up to really high numbers) and stuck teh camera out the window of the car as I drove by. As an after-thought, what I should have done to force the ISO was to go to Manual and both the shutter (at 1/8000) and also crank down the aperture to something like f/16 or f/22, but you know how after-thoughts go. Anyway here are the results at ISO6400, 1/8000 sec and f/4. (A second after-thought would have been to test the IBS by slowing down the shutter.) This image is 17.7MB in size.

DSC00015d3.

I tested the panorama function at lunchtime at a storm pond near our NASA JPSS Project location (I was reasonably satisfied - but it seems a little 'out of control'). This view is looking west. If you are interested in seeing where this is in the world, go to Google Maps and search for "JPSS Facility" and then look for the pond at the intersection of Hubble Drive and Aerospace Road. This pano is 19.2MB in size.

DSC00023a1.

Finally I took a couple shots in downtown Frederick, MD after supper at a local eatery across the Carroll Creek Project from the Thursday evening "Alive at Five" event. I didn't have any real objective for this test shot, but was just interested in capturing the scene which is somewhat colorful, but also significantly detailed in my opinion. Another interesting characteristic of this shot is the file size. I took both raw and JPGs of the scene. The ARW file size is 43.5MB, and the JPG is 13.7MB. I processed both files the same way in ACR and both came out at about 25MB (24.2 versus 26.6, respectively). I've posted the processed JPG because I think it is better. EFIX = ISO200, f/9 and 1/60 sec. The posted image is the one that is 24.2MB in size. I may post these to the Hi-Res forum too.

DSC00026a1.

• Like Like x 3