A7rii for macro with the Sony 90mm

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by adammaniam, Jan 6, 2018.

1. adammaniam

adammaniam TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 1, 2017
    Hi all

I started off in photography a few years ago with an Olympus EM-10mk1. I still use it now primarily for macro with the Olympus 60mm. Some samples taken with it are below.

I was wondering - would it be very difficult to get similar results with the A7rii (which I now have) and the Sony 90mm (which I don't have yet) considering that I will get less depth of field at a similar F stop? I usually shot at F/11 on the Olympus 60mm and sometimes stack shots.

P1060029xx-2. P1050018-6. P1060048-3. 39261144501_5582c56424_o.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Amazing shots. I for one hope you hang around here a bit. :thumbup:

Sorry I do not know the answer. Shallower DOF may, as you suggested, require more focus stacking than you have been doing. I've seen some splendid shots from the lens on a7rii, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I have that combo and it is excellent. The lens doesn't work well with focus stacking though as the image size changes as you move focus.
    The lens is excellent though.
    Here are some of my shots with that combo.

36541466235_c25b241c43_c.

36277185962_6b81dd54f5_c.

36232712211_97aa6564af_c.

• Like Like x 8
  5. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    My experience is that this lens can be a little unsuitable for very close shots like the ones you've shown. I've found it very difficult to get everything in one focus plane. I'm not sure how well it stacks myself as I've never done it. Here's a shot or two I've done with the A7rii and 90mm:

36733245241_7c847c076c_c. Frog 2 by Ben Grady, on Flickr

The depth makes it better at being a portrait lens, in my opinion:

24545773038_e6e3e5b227_c. Export 48 by Ben Grady, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  6. adammaniam

Nov 1, 2017
    Thank you very much @bdbits@bdbits for the reply and the feedback. I will definitely be hanging around - while I don't have the 90mm, I do have the 28/2, 55/1.8 and the 85/1.8 and am enjoying them very much!

• Like Like x 1
  7. adammaniam

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks a lot @davect01@davect01 . I did actually have a look through the showcase before posting this thread and while there are many excellent shots there, there doesn't seem to be any "extreme macro" shots where it's basically a portrait of the insect or spider in question. But I agree - many outstanding shots there. Thanks again!

8. adammaniam

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks @Kiwi Paul@Kiwi Paul for taking the time to share these great images with me.

Have you ever used the 90mm with the Raynox-250 by any chance, to increase the magnification such that you can basically get a portrait of the insect or spider?

9. adammaniam

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks a lot @bmg123@bmg123 for sharing these great shots and for your input, which seems to be what I was afraid of (i.e. it might pretty difficult to get everything in one focus plane). Nonetheless, perhaps the only way for me to find out is to try it!

10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Not sure why stacking would be more difficult with the 90mm, but I haven't tried. Hope to see more of your work soon.

11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Going to f14 with the FE90 has about the same dof as the Oly 60 on m4/3 at 10 inches. Keep in mind that the Oly will actually be closer magnification because it’s FOV is 120mm not 90mm.

12. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Matt, like what @Kiwi Paul mentioned earlier, focus stacking doesn't work well with the Sony FE90mm. I discovered that recently when I tried it. The lens suffers from 'focus breathing'. The image size changes at different focus points of an object. See also Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Review

13. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    This is a straight forward shot, A7Rii + FE 90mm Macro G OSS. I tried focus stacking but didn't work out too well. Green.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Does the 90 mm not have a focus hold button? As well as that instant push pull mf / af on the lens? I wasn't even aware of focus stacking the short time I had with the 90mm. I was too noob. But now, after having the sky crystals book for a couple years... I may need to revisit macro completely.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  15. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Yes it has Matt. But focus stacking (I think, but sorry if I got it all wrong) is taking shots of the same object at different focus points, and merging/stacking those shots to form one single image, in the hope that the object will come out sharp, from the front of the object right to the back (or wherever one wants it sharp). In my pic for example, I could focus the front bulbous part of the fruit (?) then take a shot. Then refocus to the middle part of the fruit, take a short. Refocus again to the stalk of the fruit and take a shot, and so on. Merge/stack these shots in LR or PS.

It'll (the stacking) work if the images on the shots taken have not changed in size. The FE 90mm Macro has 'focus breathing'.

16. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Maybe I'm not making the connection between "different sized shots"... And "focus breathing". Two things I wasn't sure had any correlation, I'll revisit their meaning and figure it out. Or just rent the lens again and find out.

17. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    When the lens has focus breathing the FOV changes depending on how near or far it is focused. In other words, the 90mm will have a FOV that produces an image greater than or less than 90mm to gain focus.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    What it means is; to keep the target the same size for all the shots you'd have to adjust focus by moving the whole camera, and not changing the lens focus. So you'd need a focusing rail to do it properly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    It's a shame the 90mm has focus breathing because it is an excellent lens in every respect, the sharpness and IQ of the lens is absolutely superb for both macro and standard shots, it quite possibly has the best IQ of all my lenses, I'd say it's only fault in that respect is it can be a bit too "clinical" for standard (non macro) shots.

• Like Like x 1
  20. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    So shooting in MF with a rail nullifies the breathing? Personally, from the reading i've done, and my extremely limited experience, I can't imagine trying to take shots (for staking) handheld. I would WANT to be in MF and ON a rail imho. Does the 50mm macro suffer from the same issue?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.