1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A7Rii Finder / Monitor Function

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by starmite, May 23, 2019.

1. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 20, 2012
    While shooting during a recent vacation in Greece, the Finder / Monitor auto function ceased working on my camera. The LCD would not illuminate, but I could still use the viewfinder. If I changed the settings to either manual viewfinder or manual monitor, I could use either, but in the "auto" setting, the camera would not automatically switch between the two if I wasn't using the viewfinder. Then, mysteriously, the function resumed working later in the day. Battery power was not low.

Has anyone else experienced a temporary glitch like this on your A7Rii? Any thoughts as to causes and/or quick remedies to restore the function?

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    There is a sensor near the EVF to detect your face close to the camera's eye piece. Check to see if it's covered with grunge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    It's very easy to get some dust on that little sensor and it's a bit of a pain to get it off. I found using a "rocket blower" works best. It's really too small to use a q tip or anything like that.

4. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks gentlemen, I will check out the sensor this evening even though the camera resumed automatically switching between the EVF and the LCD panel.

5. unlo

unlo Sony ****** Subscribing Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I've found the eye cup comes off easily and makes cleaning the sensor easier.
    I've also covered about 1/3 of the sensor with a dark film to reduce the sensitivity.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    As a side note, I've found the "Touchless Shutter" app, which lets you pass your hand in front of that sensor to take a picture, to be very handy when you have the camera on a tripod but forgot your remote trigger.

It's too bad Sony removed app functionality in the last series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.