A7Rii Finder / Monitor Function

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
While shooting during a recent vacation in Greece, the Finder / Monitor auto function ceased working on my camera. The LCD would not illuminate, but I could still use the viewfinder. If I changed the settings to either manual viewfinder or manual monitor, I could use either, but in the "auto" setting, the camera would not automatically switch between the two if I wasn't using the viewfinder. Then, mysteriously, the function resumed working later in the day. Battery power was not low.

Has anyone else experienced a temporary glitch like this on your A7Rii? Any thoughts as to causes and/or quick remedies to restore the function?

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
While shooting during a recent vacation in Greece, the Finder / Monitor auto function ceased working on my camera. The LCD would not illuminate, but I could still use the viewfinder. If I changed the settings to either manual viewfinder or manual monitor, I could use either, but in the "auto" setting, the camera would not automatically switch between the two if I wasn't using the viewfinder. Then, mysteriously, the function resumed working later in the day. Battery power was not low.

Has anyone else experienced a temporary glitch like this on your A7Rii? Any thoughts as to causes and/or quick remedies to restore the function?
There is a sensor near the EVF to detect your face close to the camera's eye piece. Check to see if it's covered with grunge.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
It's very easy to get some dust on that little sensor and it's a bit of a pain to get it off. I found using a "rocket blower" works best. It's really too small to use a q tip or anything like that.

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks gentlemen, I will check out the sensor this evening even though the camera resumed automatically switching between the EVF and the LCD panel.

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
It's very easy to get some dust on that little sensor and it's a bit of a pain to get it off. I found using a "rocket blower" works best. It's really too small to use a q tip or anything like that.
I've found the eye cup comes off easily and makes cleaning the sensor easier.
I've also covered about 1/3 of the sensor with a dark film to reduce the sensitivity.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
As a side note, I've found the "Touchless Shutter" app, which lets you pass your hand in front of that sensor to take a picture, to be very handy when you have the camera on a tripod but forgot your remote trigger.

It's too bad Sony removed app functionality in the last series.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom