A7R2 cable retainer help please

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by adwb, Dec 22, 2015.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Hi can some one have a look at the cable retainer supplied with the A&R2 and see if you can see what stops the mounting screw coming out?

on mine the screw is no longer retained and i know at some point II am going to loose the b****y thing

thanks
    Alistair

2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i can't check mine, don't have one, but could you explain a bit more? perhaps post a pic?

3. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Thanks unlo but anyone with 7r2 will understand

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    OK, but what about the rest of us who are considering an A7RII, or are merely curious? What is this "cable retainer" of which you write? There are quite a few helpful people in this forum, and even those of us who don't own an A7RII might be able to provide some good advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Just tried and it worked fine on mine.
    To install it, do notice a lip edge on the cable protector (by the 2 holes of audio jacks).
    First, slide it in at 45 degrees angle (lip to hook onto the camera's frame) then affix it flat against camera's surface and tighten screw afterward.

7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I wonder if you are trying to install it right. You need to open both doors (microphone/headphone and USB/HDMI). The '2 holes' goes over the 'microphone/headphone' points and the connector also screws in there rather than the usb/hdmi part.

8. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Maybe I need to be a bit clearer.

Take the cable retainer, if you have one, with no cable fitted in your hand.
    Can you remove the fixing screw?
    If not can you please look to see what stops it falling out?

9. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I tried the cable retainer on to my A7Rii body. It works fine.

The fixing screw is captive (and meant to be that way, me thinks) to the cable retainer body.

SamSS and Robbie described the installation process quite well.

I've just read your initial post Alistair. Now I get it. Your fixing screw is no longer captive to the cable retainer body. You want to know what is making it captive. Hang on. Let me check mine.

OK, I think I know what's holdin in the fixing screw. On the threaded side of the screw, when you push the screw in, which is spring loaded, you can just about see an "e" clip which should be sitting in a groove around the shank of the fixing screw.

I hope you've got what I've tried explaining.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Sorry I don't have a macro lens to take a pic of the fixing screw, to show where the e clip sits.

11. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    aha now i see whats gone missing thank you, unfortunately i have swept the studio floor a couple of times so that chances of me seeing let alone finding that tiny clip is about zero,

thanks for your help,
    happy christmas to you all

12. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    It
    The e clips are available in most hardware/diy stores Alistair. Just get the right size. And hope the spring in your fixing screw is still intact.

13. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    little spring is also gone

14. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Ooops...

15. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    cant believe it i found the spring and the tiny clip, we had shoot with a dress with sequins and they are all over the floor but I still saw the c clip, now assembling that is going to be a laugh, need mini pliers from home me thinks

• Like Like x 2