1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7R

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jimmoore, May 21, 2016.

1. jimmoore

jimmoore TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    How many folks are still happy with the original Sony a7r? I have seen a number are very interesting prices. Originally I was not interested in this camera, but current price, it may be worth a punt.

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

That makes a lot of sense. AF isn't as good (no PDAF) and shutter shock is a much larger problem, but...I'd definitely be tempted, too.

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I just recently had a similar thread. May want to jump over on that Does it make sense to get an A7R now?

IzTheViz and I ended up getting A7Rs. I am happy and from what he tells me, he is too. It really depends on how you shoot and what's important to you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jimmoore

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Thanks Gary will have a look

5. Jbphotography

Jbphotography TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    Shutter shock may be an occasional problem especially when using a tripod but it isn't any worse than a conventional SLR mirror, and generally the A7R seems to me to be a great camera. I paid just under £1000 for a new one 6 months ago and still very impressed. A lot of the time you can look at the images on here and pick out the ones taken with an R or Rii, they are just more detailed than any of the other cameras.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Here
    Joseph Holmes - News: Sony A7R Shutter Shake Part 3

is information on the A7R shutter shock (there are 3 parts to the article, you can link back to them from the link above). In summary,

1. Use a tripod along with the RRS L-Bracket (this bracket has a slide adjustment for the vertical piece, see 2 below)
    2. SS is more of a problem in portrait orientation than in landscape. This can be minimized by adjusting the vertical section of the RRS bracket so that it is snug against the camera's strap lug
    3. SS occurs at speeds close to the flash sync speed (when the two curtains are fully separated across the sensor; the shock apparently comes from the sudden deceleration of the first curtain. (Kasson found 1/100 to be highest; others state 1/160 or just below)
    4. SS is worse with longer lenses that have their own lens foot to attach to the tripod head. IOW, the camera base needs to be firmly against the tripod head. Adding a solid deadweight to the camera tripod socket helps in this case.

So, the A7R is a great landscape camera when used on a tripod and with lenses shorter than say 135mm. For handholding, you should raise the ISO enough to get a shutter speed of 1/250 or shorter, to be safe.

7. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Great upgrade from the A7. No real issue with the SS so far. Great IQ, great DR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jbphotography

Jbphotography TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    I agree with both the above, but with FL 50mm or less you will probably never notice the shutter shock handheld anyway - I have had great results at 1/10sec with an OSS lens. Hadn't really though about it, but it makes sense that if the tripod mount is on the camera body (ie close to the shutter plane) then the effect of the shutter shock is minimised and a longer lens will then add mass/inertia. Good call.

9. jimmoore

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Thanks for all the replies, it is always interesting to get feedback from actual users.

I am still using a nex7 and have decided that it looks as though Sony are not going to update it.

I have therefore become interested in the RX1R as I end up using my 24 for a large part of my time, but the recent used price for a A7R mean that I could get a body and a couple of primes for similar cash and be good to go.

The nex has been with me for 3 years and I feel the need for a change, this is the problem with hobbies (I want to view my rubbish efforts in more detail). I am looking for the sort of jump I got moving from a Pentax K5 to the nex7.

Thanks for your help you just made it more difficult!!