1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7R with with the kit 28-70 or an A7 with a 24-70mm F4 Vario-Tessar T*

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Hobbesva, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Hobbesva

Hobbesva New to TalkEmount

Mar 1, 2015
    If you had a budget of $2400, which one would you choose?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Unless I knew that I was going to do a lot of cropping, or had some use for files that hadn't passed through an anti-aliasing filter, I'd go with the A7 combo. But based on the prices I saw for an A7 body the last time I looked on eBay, I'd expect to pay a lot less than $2400.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    So its a question of choosing between the A7 and A7R and between the 28-70 and the 24-70 :)

If it were me, I'd get the A7 with the 24-70. I don't like the 28-70 and I don't see myself needing 36mp and loosing the faster shooting speed of the A7.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'd probably get the A7-II if I had that kind of money and skip the lens altogether :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

A second-hand A7ii, some legacy glass and an extended weekend trip somewhere for some test shots.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    1st choice better body and in several lens tests the kit lens is as good if not better than the 24-70 tessar

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Opinions vary widely on the difference between the kit 28-70mm vs. the 24-70mm. There is quite some sample variation with both lenses, but the 24-70mm has a totally different contrast and color rendition which I like very much. I've had the kit lens before and I sold it because of the dull pictures I got with it and sharpness was meagre too. To be honest, I've had a total of 6 samples of the 24-70mm on my camera before I got one I can live with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    it would be great for those considering the 24-70 to understand why you needed six samples of that lens. were you unsure or do samples vary that widely in quality of output? if the lens quality control is that poor, that would certainly discourage many from considering it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I totally agree. I am no sucker, but exchanging an item 6 times is well beyond my comfort level. At some point, I wouldn't know if I am unlucky or simply chasing my own tail and screwing the vendor or whomever the counterpart along the way. Ad can you elaborate?

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    OK, first-off I didn't screw any vendor, I didn't return one single lens.

No. 1: Visited someone who was selling a second-hand sample and I took my camera and laptop to test it on the spot. Focussing was erratic and I didn't dare to guess I could get it right and consequently didn't buy it. Maybe firmware update would have helped? Who knows.

No. 2: Bought a second-hand one after having tested it on the spot. Later on I discovered that the right side wasn't sharp at focal lengths around 50mm, curvature of field very sharply bowing inward. Sold it.

No. 3: Testing a sample in a shop with my own camera and evaluated the samples at home. Wasn't sure, samples didn't look too sharp in the corners in the (for me) important mid-range. No obvious decentering defects however and no erratic focussing.

No. 4: Testing a sample in another shop, again with my own camera and evaluated the samples at home. Pictures weren't sharp at one side of the frame.

No. 5: Don't remember.

No. 6: Visited someone selling a second-hand one. Carefully evaluated by bringing my camera and laptop. It appeared that the left side was out of focus at 70mm compared to the centre, curvature of field bowing out sharply. At 60mm the effect was largely gone and the lens is very good between 35mm and 50mm. I decided I could live with that, I can use the FE 70-200mm in critical circumstances and for snapshots this is rarely relevant. I still have this sample and so far I'm sticking with it, I know what situations to avoid: for snapshots across-the-frame sharpness is hardly relevant and for landscapes I stay between 35mm and 50mm; below 35mm I switch to the FE 16-35mm and above 50mm to the FE 70-200mm.

11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Ad. Wasn't trying to be a pain, but I hear so many wildly different experiences from this lens, I wanted to understand what forced you to go through 6. As someone that is primarily a landscape/cityscape guy, I hate not having the extra 4mm on the wide end of my kit. Yet, I can't risk the Russian roulette effect that comes with buying this lens. In the end, the fact that you legitimately found 1 out of 6 samples good says something about Sony QC regarding this lens. I would much rather buy the 28-70 for a 1/3 of the cost and accept that it is what it is.

So to the OP. If it were me, I would not look at any of the zooms as better than the other IQ wise as there is too much variation to be certain. For $2400, I would get the A7 and the 28-70. This combo will leave you enough $ to add the excellent 28/2 prime. The latter will certainly add low-light flexibility and IQ when necessary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    sounds to me like decentered focus was in your experience a constant feature of this lens. that is food for thought indeed.