A7R shutter lag - how bad is it really?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Nexnut, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I googled up everything I could find on this issue, watched some videos on youtube but since no shops over here have them in stock and there's no rental service I knew of I'd really like to ask for some other impressions - especially compared to the A7II or other Sonys with electronic front curtain (like my NEX-7). From what I've seen I prefer the output (colors, crunch) from that sensor over that from the A7II but regarding what I shoot most of the time the shutter lag could be a deal breaker.

Any experiences, anyone?

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    It is a AF is slower and there is more lag than the A7II or even the original A7. I like the A7R, but it's strength is image quality not overall usability or flexibility. It is fantastic for landscapes, which is what I shoot primarily. That said, I grab my a6000 if I want to shoot people or any action.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. magicaxeman

magicaxeman New to TalkEmount

Mar 5, 2017
    I've recently bought an A7r and your question was one of my concerns as well as the reported shutter shock issue some have had.

Neither have proved to be a problem for me and the camera was bought primarily for shooting portraits, both human and animal.

The key really is in setting the camera up properly before using it, there are some excellent vid's on youtube covering this topic but the one vital change you need to make to the stock camera is to turn off pre focus, with it on the lens is constantly hunting for focus.
    Also make sure you are using the latest firmware for both the camera and lens, updating the firmware on the 50mm F1.8 made a potentially good lens into a really good lens for me.

Now to cut to the chase -

If I could afford the A7rii I would have bought that instead, the addition of the IBIS system plus the other updates and fixes compared to the A7r such as electronic 1st curtain etc would be beneficial but for me they weren't a deal breaker and weren't worth the nearly £2000 extra the A7rii would cost here in the uk.
    (A7r can be picked up new in the UK for around £999 at present, I picked mine up bundled with the FE 50mm F1.8 for £1158)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1