A7R III Weather sealing test

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WestOkid, Jan 9, 2018.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I stumbled on this today. Not a good showing for the A7rIII. I know Sony's weather sealing was questionable, but I was hoping the newer cameras were better. I wouldn't soak my camera know matter what the maker says, but I do value piece of mind.
    The test is a bit extreme, but we can't complain because the other cameras held up quite well.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yikes! Not that I would deliberately expose any of those cameras to that kind of weather, but the Sony's "weather sealing" didn't seal at all. Good to know. But it won't affect my shooting. Because if I'm out in any possibility of rain, I have my gear in a weather-proof bag. And it's been tested several times now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    While I am a little disappointed on the battery compartment, I wouldn't do that to any camera either. Some people have wondered if it splashed up off the table - seems possible, I don't know, but that still seemed like a lot of moisture to get inside even if from below.

There was a (now-locked) flame fest discussion over on dpreview about this. Somebody cited from the Sony spec sheet at Sony α7R III 35 mm full-frame camera with autofocus. To wit - "Highly durable and operable in tough conditions. Major buttons and dials are sealed. Sealing is provided throughout the body to minimize entry of dust and moisture." There's even a footnote where the above is stated, saying that it is "not guaranteed to be 100% dust- and moisture-proof". Says about the same for the A9, incidentally. Sony α9 CMOS sensor full frame mirrorless digital camera. I did not look up what the other makers say.

So while people may expect it to be weather proof, I do not see Sony claiming it would put up with quite that much abuse, either.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Not surprised. Love the tech Sony has, but building a weatherproof system? Meh. There was a pic of a guy's Nikon (D800?) subjected to a night's time lapse session in frigid ND.
    There were wind swept icicles hanging from the body, lens and tripod! Yes, it still functions.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I always remind people weather resistant never means weather proof.

Unless your gear specifically claims to be completely sealed, be careful around any moisture and heavy dust scenarios

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I try not to subject me to that kind of shower, let alone my camera. Good test though, as I can see some sports photog's being out in those wet conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I may need to get a clear plastic raincover of some sort as I shoot quite a bit of seascapes :(

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Never mind weathersealing, from various reports I have learned that seawater and any camera is a very bad combination, fatal on occasion (for the camera, not the seewater :)).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I don't baby my gear and some cameras died on me in the past in adverse conditions, including two analog Nikons. Here and there some water and dust will find its way into the cameras and connectors, onto circuit boards etc... and salt water will inevitably lead to corrosion and probably kill those cameras (and lenses) sooner or later. Surprisingly after years of frequent exposure to the elements, especially heavy sea spray my non-weatherproof digital cameras (NEXes and Fujis) still work without any observable negative effects but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this sort of treatment to anyone else :).

10. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    Not certain how many people have noticed it but it states on the Sony Battery "Not for Sale" , wonder if the camera was a not finished product hence just for demo purposes.

11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I’m pretty sure the battery is labeled “Not for Sale” because it came with the camera. Manufacturers do this to prevent retailers from removing the batteries from the original boxed cameras and selling them separately.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Xterra

Xterra TalkEmount Regular

Feb 8, 2016
    None of my batteries of ANY camera I owned had this sticker, nor does my new A7RIII battery that came with the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well then... I dunno. :hmmm:

14. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    My poor A7 has paid the price for lack of weather sealing. It coped a small spillage of Coke which killed the front dial about a year ago. Rest of camera seems still works fine.

I don't think its any surprise the Sony camera are not as robust as Canon and Nikon top of the line offerings.

• Like Like x 1
  15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I think it's a huge surprise.. Why the heck have they not made a D5 killer. A9 speed with a7s like sensor. And actual weather sealing... Seems like a no Brainer. Unless you are the guy responsible for the budget.

16. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I think that Sony is still struggling to keep the heat down in a relatively small body with a FF sensor. Great weather sealing that keeps the weather ‘out’ will also work to keep the heat ‘in’.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Poach nikon engineers what ever it takes...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I dont really think it comes down to engineering skills....

I think it is more along the lines of....
    1) Sony is mirrorless which means the sensor is always on - feeding the EVF - that generates heat
    2) You are looking at a lot of performance - 4k/ff/80mb raw@ 10fps - more heat
    3) IBIS - sensor floating from the body - difficult to heat sink - more heat
    4) Small body - difficult to dissipate heat - more heat

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well this guy just soaked his A7r3 on a shoot and it seemed to handle it well

• Like Like x 1
  20. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Jason Lanier is a Sony Artisan. His job is promote how good the camera is. There videos of him promoting the a6000 and 55210 for professional work. He is hardly independent.

• Agree Agree x 2