1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a7R Focus assist with non e-mount lenses

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by umbrlla, Apr 30, 2014.

1. umbrlla

umbrlla New to TalkEmount

Apr 27, 2014
    Hey, I've been using the 35mm ziess lens for a while but grabbed a Voigtlander 21mm f.1 Ultron lens yesterday. From my brief time with it, it's awesome so far but when I use focus assist I get an error "Invalid because lens not attached. Attach the lens correctly." Is this a limitation of the camera or the adapter that I am using (Novoflex M to E)?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Menu diving required. Somewhere (sorry I don't have a A7r) there's a setting called "Release without Lens" or something similar that needs to be set to "Enable"

On my 5N it's here: MENU > [Setup] > [Release w/o Lens] > desired setting.

And welcome to the forum. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Default out of the box setting isset to "release without lens" though, so probably not that.

It could be you have a manual lens on the camera but the camera set to A? it is the flick switch at the back and also the default mode for auto on your PASM dial (I think). I think the camera is trying to auto focus but because its a manual lens you get that message? If you swithc to manual and turn AF off it should be fine?

• Like Like x 1
  4. umbrlla

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks for the reply and welcome! Looks like it's the same path on the A7R but that doesn't seem to do it :(

5. umbrlla

Apr 27, 2014
    It's definitely set to manual focus. switch has been an MF, I've toggled it just to be sure. The "M" appears on the screen. Going into the function menu doesn't allow me to change to auto focus while it thinks there is no lens attached.

6. umbrlla

Apr 27, 2014
    I have "focus magnifier" set to C2, which is a start, but it's extremely sensitive... to the point that as soon as the camera moves it will exit that mode.

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Using C2 to try and magnify? That bit me in the store when testing the A7/A7r.

Try C1, and press once to activate (and move) the magnification spot, press C1 again to actually magnify.

This assumes you are still using the camera default settings for C1/C2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. umbrlla

Apr 27, 2014
    That's what I've had it set to in the past, it works fine with the 35mm EF but not so much with the new m-mount lens/adapter

9. umbrlla

Apr 27, 2014
    Looks like I found the problem. Other than me not reading the manual thoroughly enough, I had MF assist off, not sure if it was off by default or if I had changed it at some point? Regardless, I feel stupid but really appreciate the suggestions you've all provided :)

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Really? Learn something new everyday. I wonder when that changed? Every (removeable lens) digital camera I've ever owned you had to menu dive to use manual focus-only lenses.

About time somebody got a clue though. That's got to be in the top three questions asked when first starting with a manual focus lens.

11. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I'm guessing they changed that because - given the dearth of FE lenses at launch - they sort of assumed a lot of the early adopters would be rockin' adapter glass...

12. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    I "think" the a3000 I got was the same from memory. I brought a canon fd lens to test on it in the shop when I bought it and didnt need to change the setting.