1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7R + 10-18mm unusable, except at 15 & 16mm ???

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by mcvu, Oct 9, 2014.

1. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    I tried Sony 10-18mm f4 lens on my A7r and results are nothing like what I saw from other people pics with the same combo. People said it should be usable from 12 to 16mm.
    Here's one review from Brian Smith. Note that he only get light corner vignette at 12mm. Dark circular at 10mm, but not the weird shape I got.
    http://briansmith.com/sony-a7r-10-18-e-mount-lens/

I set aps-c mode to OFF and turn OFF all lens correction in camera. Shot in JPG and resized for upload.

Please take a look here and tell me what's wrong with my camera? Check filename for the focal length setting.
    Edited: Link to samples removed.

I sent the camera in to Sony services couple months ago for light leak and loose lens mount & they fixed both issues. Don't know what else they did that would create that weird dark frame on the 10-18mm lens. Both FE 35 & 55mm lenses worked fine. The 10-18mm lens worked fine on A6000 and A7r crop mode.

Updated: Problem solved. Thanks to michelb for pointing out the issue: can't use the shade on such wide angles.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hmm... That does look different from the results that I got with the A7. But I never shot jpegs, and always used the Lightroom lens profile that I downloaded for the combo. I no longer have the lens, so I can't try to duplicate your results. But my guess is that shooting jpegs with no lens correction is what has caused this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Take off the lens shade and any filter you may have on there

Just tried my A7r with and without shade, i got similar results to your pics with the shade on up to 14mm and frames with shade off were usable from 12mm

• Like Like x 1
  4. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    I just redo in RAW and imported into LR.

Looks like the profile correction either stretch image out or crop the sides so we don't actually get full 36MP.
    I still see the weird rectangular frame w/o profile correction. With correction, I got a little more usable range: 14-17mm.
    Don't know why I didn't get the same circular vignette like everybody else.

Oh well, corners are horrible comparing to same lens on A6000, so I will only use the lens on A6000 going forward.

I'll leave test images on flickr for awhile and will delete them eventually.

5. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    Ahh...it's the shade :) Thanks!!!

6. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Yes and if you look at those people testing and showing this set-up on web sites, they NEVER showed the shade mounted on the lens. By the way a filter would also give you some level of extra vignetting that could show up as vignetting.

You also mentioned in an earlier post: Oh well, corners are horrible comparing to same lens on A6000, so I will only use the lens on A6000 going forward.

Now you can't compare both since the 10-18 was designed for APS-C ( 35mm FF equivalent would be 15-28mm) and you are using it as a 12 to 14-18 in full frame which it was not designed to do.
    I would consider it as a very good 10-18mm using the camera's built-in APS-C crop mode or as a usable 12-18 in full frame so you are actually gaining 3mm at the shortest focal length ( which would be an 8-12mm should it be available in APS-C format. Max versatility without an adapter.

Built-in camera corrections should be left on AUTO since all but vignetting are only effective in Jpeg. If you shoot RAW, or RAW+Jpeg, your RAW files won't have any correction except for Vignetting ( shadowing), making them easier to correct in PP.

7. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    I was hoping for decent 12 to 15mm FF performance on a7r but I should have known better. The lens was not designed for FF, so Sony did not optimize the outer borders/corners since those regions will be cropped away in aps-c anyway.

The lens is very good for aps-c because it was designed to cover much more and only the best middle region was used.
    With higher pixel density and use of the lens' best middle region, 10mm on A6000 has much better corners and sharpness uniformity (across the frame sharpness) than 15mm on A7r. The lens' resolution is the limiting factor here, not the sensor's.

Based on the same principles, I expect sharpness uniformity of A6000 + 10-18 will be better than A7r + new Zeiss 16-35/f4, unless they spent much more effort to optimize the zoom similar to the Otus lenses, or design the new zoom to cover much bigger than FF, and use middle region. Peak sharpness on A7r combo will be better, but not sharpness uniformity.

8. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ed
    Sony's best kept secret, a 14mm-ish ultrawide with OSS for $800. Canon and Nikon cannot compete at this range at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount