A7iii sort cards

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
Hey guys, I’m wading through the menus and trying to figure how to sort the various file types onto the cards. Here is what I want ideally.

I like to have raw images recorded into one card and Jpg along with any video on the other. I’m able to sort between jpg/raw onto different cards and images/video onto different cards but not exactly what I want.

Am I missing something? This was never an issue on previous cameras.

thanks.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I don't think it's possible to sort them the way you want. It's jpeg/RAW on one and video on the other on a Sony A7iii. At least that's the way it is on mine.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
This article seems to cover all the options pretty well.
https://www.alphashooters.com/cameras/a7iii/dual-card-slot-setup/

Using the sort options referenced in the article will allow you to split RAW and jpeg, but it seems it would then record video to your priority slot, which you can also set. So if you had slot 1 as priority, video would go to slot 1 and you could have RAW on slot 1 and jpeg on slot 2 (or vice versa). If you had slot 2 as priority, video would go to slot 2 and you can still split RAW and jpeg between cards.

Sadly, I do not have an A7iii so this is just me thinking about it. You'd have to test it out to see if that would work.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Exactly as Bob said above. I have my A73 setup for Slot 1 as Prioritize Rec Media for Raw, so this is where the Video file goes with the Raw, Jpegs to slot 2. In your case you would Prioritize Slot 2 and select Jpegs to go there with Video, Raws would go to slot 1. See page 303 of the Sony Online Help Guide for the A73.

Do keep in mind that Slot 1 is the faster UHS-II slot and slot 2 is UHS-I. So if your going to record 4K video you should opt for a V30 or faster rated UHS-I card for slot 2.

Last edited:

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. So the key is the priority setting not the sorting setting.

I’ll delve into it deeper, but looks like it is possible.

Thanks again.

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This article seems to cover all the options pretty well.
https://www.alphashooters.com/cameras/a7iii/dual-card-slot-setup/

Using the sort options referenced in the article will allow you to split RAW and jpeg, but it seems it would then record video to your priority slot, which you can also set. So if you had slot 1 as priority, video would go to slot 1 and you could have RAW on slot 1 and jpeg on slot 2 (or vice versa). If you had slot 2 as priority, video would go to slot 2 and you can still split RAW and jpeg between cards.

Sadly, I do not have an A7iii so this is just me thinking about it. You'd have to test it out to see if that would work.
Exactly as Bob said above. I have my A73 setup for Slot 1 as Prioritize Rec Media for Raw, so this is where the Video file goes with the Raw, Jpegs to slot 2. In your case you would Prioritize Slot 2 and select Jpegs to go there with Video, Raws would go to slot 1. See page 303 of the Sony Online Help Guide for the A73.

Do keep in mind that Slot 1 is the faster UHS-II slot and slot 2 is UHS-I. So if your going to record 4K video you should opt for a V30 or faster rated UHS-I card for slot 2.
thanks. I got it. I’ll just switch it when I do 4K which isn’t often. Probably just pull out card 2 will do the trick.

I like to have some small JPG and video to store directly on the phone for social and for a instant backup, so having them both on the same card without the raw files is handy.

cheers and happy holidays.

Latest posts

Top Bottom