• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A7iii or A7Riii

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have read about this before though not recently. My takeaway was that higher resolution sensors magnify lens characteristics. So for example if your lens is soft in the corners, it becomes more noticeable on the image, moreso if you print or view it large of course. On the other hand, if it is sharp across the field, it really shines on the higher resolution. Same for technique, so it does require more attention to details and perhaps more tripod use for genres like landscape. Or so I've read.

I do not know if it is that I am trying to capture more difficult images now, or ever higher resolution sensors, but attention to detail really has become more important over time. My technique has improved (I hope) over time as well, so hopefully it will not be any more difficult on 42mp. As far as lenses, I have reworked my kit over the last 1-2 years. I am now using primarily Voigtlander emount primes, and from what I have seen reported by people who routinely shoot high resolution I am pretty confident they will be up to the task. I also have a manual Tokina Firin 20mm, and my lone AF zoom, a Tamron 28-75mm. I think they will be fine, also. I do still have some legacy glass, mostly Minoltas, and will have to see if they do well or not.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I thought I would post a brief follow-up. My A7Riii has arrived. While there is a lot that is familiar, it is also quite a step up. I've only taken a few test shots, and used it for about 15 pictures at a family gathering this evening. I noticed the 42mp from the very first test shots even when zoomed out, and it appears to be much better at higher ISOs. Eye-AF is downright amazing, even tried it on the cat. Almost makes me second-guess my strong preference for manual primes - almost. The high-res EVF/screen is really nice. The body definitely has a bit more heft to it, but it still feels pretty compact. I have a long ways to go to figure out everything, and have not decided what to customize yet but did tweak a few things to be as they were on my A7ii. Anyways, I am pretty excited to get using this camera even during what is a normally very low-volume time of year for me primarily due to weather.

Here is a test pic of - what else - one of our cats (say hello, Gracie). The second pic is a 100% crop from the first (so same image), some light editing in Capture One v12 pre-crop to deal with the heavy backlighting. Tamron 28-75/2.8 wide open at 75mm, handheld - I think there is a touch of motion blur. I also used animal eye-AF.

ILCE-7RM3    E 28-75mm F2.8-2.8    75mm    f/2.8    1/400s    ISO 100

ILCE-7RM3    E 28-75mm F2.8-2.8    75mm    f/2.8    1/400s    ISO 100

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
I'll be up for this decision in the upcoming year - hopefully.
I've given myself a strict upgrade guideline which I normally don't do.
When the A7iii is sub 1K. And I threw in the clause of having the choice of an RIII regardless of the price. ( :
Hopefully the pricing trend stays.

I'll gladly welcome the upgrades but honestly for the work I like doing the A7II is plenty good.
And it keeps my skills honed. < Joke. I have very little.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Oh yes the A7ii is still a very good camera. I have had it 3 years next month and it has served me well. I decided to do an upgrade now because
a) it seemed like the iii series cameras are pretty stable and have had probably the last big firmware upgrade they will get
b) I wanted to try a higher megapixel camera, with somewhat better performance/range, the bigger battery, and some of the other features on the newer bodies
c) I think the usual push down on prices from upgraders to the A7Riv has run its course - crazy deals on the A7Riii (used which is how I normally upgrade)
d) assuming I can sell the A7ii for what I think I can reasonably net currently, I had the funds available - hope that works out, lol

None of those makes the upgrade mandatory, but the timing seemed right for me.

Since the A7Riv is out for a while now, I expect the A7iv will be announced soon, which may push those used A7iii prices down enough for you to meet your guidelines.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Upgrades are never mandatory... Almost any relatively modern camera will produce very good to excellent image quality virtually all the time.

Where an upgrade is really enjoyable is in the fun of shooting with it.

I am in love with the Eye-AF and the Animal Eye-AF on the latest Sony cameras, both full frame and APSC...

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
Upgrades are never mandatory... Almost any relatively modern camera will produce very good to excellent image quality virtually all the time.

Where an upgrade is really enjoyable is in the fun of shooting with it.

I am in love with the Eye-AF and the Animal Eye-AF on the latest Sony cameras, both full frame and APSC...
So true.
Once I try GENiii eye-AF I'm sure I'll convince myself that it is mandatory and I can't live without it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom