• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A7iii or A7Riii

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I have been browsing buy/sell sites for a used-but-newer camera body. I am torn between the A7iii and the A7Riii. The difference used is $200-$300 more for the A7Riii. This is a bit beyond my initial budget, but I might manage if I really ought to get the R. If you have either one of these, any regrets? Have you been disappointed in anything in particular? Do find 42M versus 24M much slower to process or burdensome for storage? I don't shoot a high volume, though. Apart from sudden unforseen wealth incoming from say the lottery (which I do not play), I anticipate keeping this camera for probably five or more years in order to ensure domestic tranquility. Or so I keep telling myself.

I know they are both very capable. I've kind of distilled it to the following points, for me.

* I shoot a lot of landscapes, buildings, etc. but seldom print. I could probably count on one hand the number of large prints I have ever made. I don't see ever going beyond maybe 36x24 or similar.
* On the other hand, I love fine, endless detail, and sometimes crop significantly to make up for a lack of long lenses or to reframe (aspect ratio or composition).
* I currently shoot almost all manual, however I am actually not very good at it, and as I age I think I may start using autofocus lenses more. Or learn to focus better, not sure.
* I have some interest in dabbling in video.
* A7Riii has all those pixels of course, pixel shift, a significantly higher-res viewfinder and lcd (but I guess in video not so much), no low-pass filter (is that huge?).
* A7iii has much better AF point coverage almost to the frame edge, perhaps better AF (mixed reviews), maybe better color, better video (not huge for me but...).

So basically the R for resolution (image and EVF/LCD) versus cost and a small edge to the A7iii for better AF and video, and still a little cheaper used.

🤔

Maybe I should wait for the A7iv to be announced.

I think the A7iii might win out if I do it now.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Go for the R! I would if had to choose. The full magnesium body, resolution, pixel-shift, and most important to me, the higher-res EVF.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys are bad for my wallet, lol. 😏

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I write from the a6nnn land, where such heady stuff as full-frame and 42MP is only in my dreams, but didn't I read that crop mode on the A7iiiR is more pixels than we have in APS-C country?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I write from the a6nnn land, where such heady stuff as full-frame and 42MP is only in my dreams, but didn't I read that crop mode on the A7iiiR is more pixels than we have in APS-C country?
The A7RIV has a 26 MP APS-C crop, which is about equal to the A6xxx series. The A7RIII has "only" 18 MP. :biggrin:
I shot APS-C for several years with the NEX-5N, NEX-6, and A6000, then bought the A7ii I have now. Nothing wrong with APS-C at all, and I sometimes miss the compact bodies and lenses.

I watched a few videos comparing the A7iii to the A7Riii. The 18MP crop mode was mentioned by more than one as a point in favor of the R, and people are making the same point but 26MP with the A7Riv as DRD1135 noted. I just don't know if I would actually shoot in crop mode; other than an aid in framing/composition I think it would be the same as cropping in post. Which is still pretty amazing to get 18MP, isn't it? I could see it for wildlife, maybe.

If you're not a high volume shooter, go with the A7RIII. If you like to shoot a lot, I much prefer 24mp files!
Manny Ortiz stepped "down" to the A7iii last year partly over file size (but kept his A7Riii, too), admitting he shoots a lot of pictures in each session. I am not high-volume at all, but those 42MP files do give me pause. I finally bought a 1T drive last year to give me some breathing room in storage, and now I'm going to consume it at almost twice the rate? :shakehead:

Fun fact: it occurred to me that 24 transposed is 42.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I had this same choice and bought the A7RIII. I only shoot RAW, download all the files (mutli-TB hard drives are cheap), but only process a subset into JPegs. It works OK for me, but you would have to have a good computer and LR to process hundreds, e.g., a wedding. This is my first "up to date" A7 model and I am very pleased with it. I can safely say that you will end up with a great camera either way. You can of course downsize the JPEGS to 24 MP and recapture the better lower MP noise in the process. This makes it a bit more equivalent to the A7III in terms of noise for comparable JPEGs.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I started the process of rationalization justification thinking of non-technical reasons to buy an R, so I looked through my Capture One catalog to see when I started using each of my prior cameras. I was surprised I have had the A7ii the longest so far. And I migrated faster than I remember from the NEX-5N to the NEX-6. I also kept the A6000 for quite a while after I had the A7M2 but finally sold it to fund a lens after I realized I was not actually using it any more. Of course there were sometimes costly lens purchases scattered throughout as well, especially over the last 18 months as I moved to mostly e-mount over legacy lenses.
Code:
Camera   1st pic   used at least
------   -------   -------------
NEX-5N   2012-05   1.0 years
NEX-6    2013-05   2.4 years
A6000    2015-10   1.4 years +
A7M2     2017-03   2.8 years
p.s. ugh the courier font does not stay non-proporitional once posted so the table is not aligned, used 'code' to keep it aligned

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I had this same choice and bought the A7RIII. I only shoot RAW, download all the files (mutli-TB hard drives are cheap), but only process a subset into JPegs. It works OK for me, but you would have to have a good computer and LR to process hundreds, e.g., a wedding. This is my first "up to date" A7 model and I am very pleased with it. I can safely say that you will end up with a great camera either way. You can of course downsize the JPEGS to 24 MP and recapture the better lower MP noise in the process. This makes it a bit more equivalent to the A7III in terms of noise for comparable JPEGs.
Thanks for sharing. We have pretty similar workflows. I built my current computer a couple of years ago and it is doing alright thus far. I should probably download some sample A7Riii RAWs to get a feel for whether it will be an issue.

A couple of reviews mentioned that was sampled to the A7iii size the A7Riii images looked pretty comparable noise-wise.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm more than happy with my A7iii. It has a lot better low light capability than the A7ii which is still in my bag. I don't do a lot of PP to my pictures as I'm a SOC type of shooter so my old computer (RIP) did OK with its only 8gb of RAM. My new 32GB machine will be interesting to see how it handles the photo load. It seems super fast now but I haven't gotten into any picture work yet so we'll have to hold off on a judgement there.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Truthfully, I was inclined to go with the A7iii, but I managed to score a really good deal on a used A7Riii and decided to go for it. I haven't seen shipping info yet but I expect with MLK day I probably will not get it until Tuesday or Wednesday.

It was actually a hard decision for me, especially since I want this to last me 5+ years. The way the price gap has tightened on these used bodies, I think I made the right one for me.

Thanks for all the input on both cameras.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Congrats on making such a hard choice.
I really wanted a new camera when I bought my A7iii. Looking at file sizes generated by both swayed me to the A7iii since I didn't want to have to upgrade my computer too.
Well, here I sit at a new computer, but I still am happy with the A7iii purchase.
Looking forward to seeing what pictures you can come up with now Bob.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Me, too, AlwaysOnAuto. And I think the A7iii is a great camera. For the way I shoot, the extra pixels may come in quite handy though. I buy used mostly to save money, and have not had any issues thus far. Maybe planning to keep it so long I should have gone new. Only time will tell.

I did download some sample A7Riii images and Capture One seems to slice through them just as smoothly as my A7ii images. So I am not too worried.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I really like my A7iii and think that you will be happy with either the A7iii or any other of the newer Sony mirrorless cameras. Along with being very happy with the A7iii, I also like my A6400 and A6600 very much and will usually grab one of these cameras when a lot of walking is involved simply due to the form factor of the A6xxx APSC cameras.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Me, too, AlwaysOnAuto. And I think the A7iii is a great camera. For the way I shoot, the extra pixels may come in quite handy though. I buy used mostly to save money, and have not had any issues thus far. Maybe planning to keep it so long I should have gone new. Only time will tell.

I did download some sample A7Riii images and Capture One seems to slice through them just as smoothly as my A7ii images. So I am not too worried.
I've been buying used for quite some time too, to save money. Figured if my wife can put up $8k for a sewing machine I can afford to put up $2k for a new camera.
I just wish my computer hadn't gone belly up on me. There was a Nikon FM3a on an auction site I frequent daily and it was close to me so I could have saved on shipping, but that money went towards the computer. Oh well, I don't shoot film any more so it's just as well. It would have just sat in my cabinet along with all my other film cameras that don't get used.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
Wouldn't one of the questions be whether all your lenses are up to the higher res sensor?
I see this mentioned regularly, and wonder... Just because a lens might not fully exploit a camera's capabilities, does it mean that lens would take worse pictures than when paired with a lower-res camera? And, if technically yes, then... visibly yes?

Latest posts

Top Bottom