• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A7ii to A7Rii

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
I am happy with the A7ii but wouldn't mind a better eye-AF implementation.
A7Rii used prices are falling within my range.
Is the Rii much better regarding AF ? I also wouldn't mind the res bump.

I understand the gen iiis are where it's at but I'll have to wait until I can afford it.
Might be awhile. ) :

Or maybe I just need to learn how to use it with the 7ii?

Thanks.

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
I have only really used the FE 50mm f1.8, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have not found the AF on my A7Rii to be particularly awesome. The AF system on my a6000 was generally much better. The Eye-AF on the A7Rii is really nice when it does work, but I would suggest trying out an A7Rii with the lenses you like to use to see how it feels to you. You might find a used A7iii for not much difference in cost, and reports seem to be that the AF is much improved in the 3rd gen bodies. I use mostly manual focus lenses with my A7Rii so isn't often an issue, but when I do use the 50, I am often feeling like I would be as fast and more accurate focusing manually. Of course, this could also be related to the fact that I use AF so rarely that I am likely not using it as effectively as I could....

There, now have I thoroughly muddied the water for you? :)

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
I have only really used the FE 50mm f1.8, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have not found the AF on my A7Rii to be particularly awesome. The AF system on my a6000 was generally much better. The Eye-AF on the A7Rii is really nice when it does work, but I would suggest trying out an A7Rii with the lenses you like to use to see how it feels to you. You might find a used A7iii for not much difference in cost, and reports seem to be that the AF is much improved in the 3rd gen bodies. I use mostly manual focus lenses with my A7Rii so isn't often an issue, but when I do use the 50, I am often feeling like I would be as fast and more accurate focusing manually. Of course, this could also be related to the fact that I use AF so rarely that I am likely not using it as effectively as I could....

There, now have I thoroughly muddied the water for you? :)

From what I've read, the AF in general is better on the Rii but nowhere near the iii.
It's a $300 jump from ii to Rii and another $600 to the iii.

For $900 I'll make the ii work.
If I see a steal on the Rii may try it just for the res.

Thanks.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
If you want better AF performance, you'll need to get an A7III. I'd only get the A7RII since the upgrade price is minimal and you gain the benefits of a hi-res BSI sensor. The A7II sensor was already outdated compared to the Nikon D750 which came out at the same time. Pick up an A7III when the A7IV is announced!

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
I kinda knew that was the case.
I hate to say it but I think the iii is more like a iii.5. When the iv arrives I don't think there's going to be a big jump in features/tech and the iii will hold it's value longer.
Hope I'm wrong.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I've been seeing the iii for $1500 or so used and in excellent condition. But you really have to watch for them as they go pretty fast. Sadly the A7ii is not worth a lot anymore or I'd have upgraded already myself. If Santa sends me enough cash I may try to scrape enough together to do it early next year. Partly GAS, but I think a manual focus guy like me will get some sensor-related benefits, and there are lots of little things updated.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I kinda knew that was the case.
I hate to say it but I think the iii is more like a iii.5. When the iv arrives I don't think there's going to be a big jump in features/tech and the iii will hold it's value longer.
Hope I'm wrong.

The A7II is actually the A7 1.5, as the A7 was more like the A7 0.5 when it was released with all sorts of issues like flimsy lens mount, sensor reflections, etc. The A7III really only caught up to being like the mirrorless version of the Nikon D750, which is a camera that does everything right with very little issues. I think it'll hold it's ground for quite awhile!

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
The A7II is actually the A7 1.5, as the A7 was more like the A7 0.5 when it was released with all sorts of issues like flimsy lens mount, sensor reflections, etc. The A7III really only caught up to being like the mirrorless version of the Nikon D750, which is a camera that does everything right with very little issues. I think it'll hold it's ground for quite awhile!

Haha.
Hopefully the iv adds something amazing and groundbreaking.

Latest threads

Top Bottom