1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7ii shutter count

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by chorkie-dad, Sep 8, 2016.

1. chorkie-dad

chorkie-dad TalkEmount Regular

Aug 28, 2016
    Scotland
    Bill Logan
    Can anyone advise how to check the shutter count on an A7ii camera please

2. siftu

siftu TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. chorkie-dad

Aug 28, 2016
    Scotland
    Bill Logan
    Tried this site which advises Does not support the A7ii. I am amazed at the lack of response, surely the forum has members who are interested in keeping track of their shutter activation's ?

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I guess my first response is: why care? I don't shoot in bursts very much, and never shoot time lapse or any other camera function that would rack up high activation numbers. So I can't see ever approaching the rated MTBF shutter activations on any camera I own. By the time the shutter croaks, the camera will have been sold or died from neglect. When I sell my A7II, I'll tell the potential buyer how long I've owned it and its general operational and cosmetic condition. If they're curious about the shutter count, I'll just tell them that I have no idea. One less thing to lose sleep over. :D

5. chorkie-dad

Aug 28, 2016
    Scotland
    Bill Logan
    I do not disagree with your outlook David, however in this day and age you would think it reasonable that manufacturers would introduce shutter activation count as standard. i certainly would not buy a car without knowing the mileage, and being able to identify maintenance intervals, and I certainly would not buy a second hand camera without knowing the shutter count

6. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Shutter count is in the EXIF file of most e-mount cameras. Try Phil Harvey's EXIF Tool or Picture Information Explorer.

7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Actually, that site is built on exiftool. I tried it locally on an A7ii file I downloaded off here and no image/shutter count, though it dumped lots of other metadata so the file appeared to have intact EXIF. It does work on my A6000 RAWs, so it appears to be an exiftool support issue.

8. siftu

siftu TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
  9. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Last summer I tried to find the shutter count on a number of sony cameras. Most work with the shutter count tool or the shutter count is available in Exiftool. However, there were a couple, I do not recall which ones, for which I needed to use Picture Information Explorer. Try that for perhaps better luck. There was one camera which did not show a shutter count even in PIE. I was looking at the RX100IV, RX10iii, RX1Rii, Ar7ii, A6300, A6000 and Nex3n. As I said I do not recall which worked but there were definite a couple with non standard or missing shutter counts.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Picture Information Editor shows shutter count in Windows (Fields: Maker Notes -> Image Count, Image Count 2, Image Count 3). For Mac users who have RawDigger, the EXIF window also shows these fields.