A7ii owners with LAEA3 and Tamron 150-600mm please provide feedback before I buy

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Feb 27, 2016.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    So I am almost ready to buy this lens. I found one for at a good price and its a USA version and will have the full warranty otherwise I wouldnt buy it.
    Anyways, just wondering what the current owners feel of the combination. I am very happy with the 70-200 F2.8 so that is why I started looking into this one now.

Mostly for hiking like on our local Antelope Island to capture wildlife. And maybe the Zoo (not sure how good it will be at "eliminating" the cages compared to a faster lens.

2. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular

Dec 20, 2012
    I have the Sony version of this lens (make sure you buy the Sony A-mount version) and used it extensively with both the LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 adapters on my A7ii during a recent trip to South Africa. My experience was that I was able to achieve faster, more accurate focusing using the LA-EA4 adapter. The lens is great; very sharp through out most of the range. The only downside to the lens, if any, is that it is heavy, but not so much so that you can't hand hold it for hours upon end.

You'll be very happy with the A-mount version of the lens; I didn't find that sacrificing some of the phase detection points by not using the LA-EA3 impacted my results at all. Go for it!
  3. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I'm not sure what the price difference is but the Sigma 150-600mm with the MC-11 adapter seems like the better option on paper. If you don't have an immediate need it might be worth waiting for reviews on the production unit. Sigma seems to have achieved better compatibility than even Sony!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello guys!
    So yes, I indeed decided to wait until the Sigma adapter comes out to get some feedback. I like my Tamron 70-200mm and Sigma doesnt really have a comparable lens but with the 150-600mm they do have a comparable one so if I can get it with better focusing (plus being able to add other Sigma art lenses) then even better!
  5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Also interested for the mc-11 and it's results. I'M renting a 70-200 and 24-70 Tamron for Sony and will be testing both the ea4 and ea3. Thx for your feedback @starmite@starmite
    • Like Like x 2