A7ii owners that moved to the A7Rii please comment...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by shaolin95, Oct 17, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    So as much as I want to wait for the next gen as I like to skip one gen before upgrades, some things are hard to ignore from the A7Rii.

#1 As a pixel peeper the 42MP are soooo tempting. How much reality is there to the comment I read so often that the Res is so high that each lens almost becomes too since you can crop THAT much? Hope that makes sense.. lol
    #2 The Eye focus thing is very cool but then again, I dont get close enough with my FE 55mm normally (I usually do full body shots at most with it but mostly environmental portraits) so not sure how useful it will be unless I get something like the 85mm 1.8 or maybe some 135mm if it comes out and its better optically than my Samyang.
    #3 What looks like one extra stop of ISO performance compared to my A7ii. I am a sucker for clean images.
    #4 Better EVF
    #5 Faster AF

Funny that as I was typing this list...the reasons to upgrade began to look less important and my mood of a future upgrade changed back to waiting for next Gen. :D
    So it would be nice to get feedback from users that upgraded and how they feel after a while.

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    For me there is a big difference in all of the a7 cameras. I have used them all but the a7sii.

The easiest one to shoot with legacy glass is by far the a7ii. As for image results the a7rii has much better image quality in my opinion.

And yes, the cropping is ridiculous on the a7rii. I usually shy away from wider lenses on a walk around (24-35) cropping those on a 16 or 24mp camera is not very forgiving. I walked around today with a Nikkor 24mm f2 and I was amazed at the cropping ability. The thing is the DOF is still always going to be the same no matter the focal length, so if you want that subject isolation you still need 50mm plus in most cases. But here is a sample.

Not cropped

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    The A7rII is better a variety of ways. But, if I didn't do large format printing I wouldn't have moved.
  4. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    #1 Yes, it is a pixel peepers delight. I dont really buy the one lens becomes two argument although I think it has some merit at the long end - your 300mm does become an 450mm at 18mp. You will certainly noyice the extra detail with the 16-35 ib say cityscapes and you can certainly become more sloppy with the amount of room you leave to crop in post.
    #2 Eye-af doesnt make much difference in S-af as you already have it with the A7ii, you still have to set it to a separate button and face detect works well. It is pretty useful in c-af (especially with kids)
    #3 Yes there probably is a stop especially as you can trade some detail with NR
    #4 Well the EVF is better but I dont really notice it. When I switch to the A7ii I never think this EVF is small.
    #5 Most noticeable for c-af

Some other things. Minimum shutter speed for auto iso is incredibly useful. Silent shutter is absolutely great in certain situations. I think that the shutter is a noticeable improvement.

Personally I cant think of one advantage the A7ii has over the A7rii (although your bank manager would beg to differ.)

Both the A7ii and A7rii are pretty polished cameras with no obvious drawbacks. If it is features you are after I would probably wait until the A7ii or even A7iv. If you are planning to move to more MP sometime, then the A7rii makes sense and I doubt you will feel much need to upgrade for a while.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Can I tell you about it in 2 or 3 days? :D
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ChronoBodi

ChronoBodi TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    speaking of cropping, let me show you an extreme example. A squirrel picture, look at the original, then the processed, cropped image. DSC08321.JPG DSC08321_1.

In hindsight, maybe I overdid the post-processing, but you can have a decent 12-18 MP image from pretty much 1/6 to 1/8th of the original 42MP image.
  7. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I must say, cropping into 42mp is nut...me love it.
    I didn't have chance to play with it much but I'm sure I'll like it.

With a7ii, my satisfaction would be 80%. I've never had a 36mp camera. Jumping into a 42mp is an eye opener.
    Paid almost twice of a7ii, criteria that matters to me the most versus a7ii... not a whole lot
    AF performance, ISO performance, extra resolution, silent shutter, 4K is not that important to me.

Just for resolution, I was so tempted to pick up a7R advertised for $1100~1200 almost new with only a few hundreds of actuations.

There, I said it. The good, the bad and the a7R
  8. Tony

Tony New to TalkEmount

Aug 20, 2015
    Without pixel peeping, are there any discernible image quality differences in terms of colors, dynamic range and etc from a7 II to a7r II? I shoot manual focus lenses (Loxia lenses and Contax g/Leica lenses at the telephoto) mostly for landscapes and personal travel so all the af features aren't that important to me. The extra mp are nice but i think 24mp is plenty.
  9. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    No more color shift in the corners, for one.
    At 50% magnification (i.e. not pixel peeping), I can see an improvement is sharpness and noise vs. my A7 (same sensor as the A7II). In fact, maintaining better resolution and noise in downsampling is, for me, the biggest advantage.
    • Agree Agree x 1