A7II or A7R

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by allcity, Jan 4, 2016.

1. allcity

allcity TalkEmount Regular

Nov 30, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Ron
    I have the opportunity to buy either of these used at a very good price. Which would you rather have? I like the low light capabilities of the 7R, but I also like the IS of the 7II. So I'm torn between the two. Buying both is not an option. :(

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The A7R has a higher resolution sensor, but I don't believe it has better low-light capability than the A7II. If anything, the higher pixel density of the A7R would mean worse low-light capability, wouldn't it?

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Personal preference I guess, but I'd go with the A7II cause of the revised body design (I prefer it and its grip), newer camera so better re-sale value, IBIS, faster AF, uncompressed RAW option via firmware, higher res LCD, e-shutter... Personally I think 24mp is enough and don't see myself wanting more mp...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I've had both. What type of lenses to you use? Legacy I would go with the a7ii

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. allcity

Nov 30, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Ron
    Doesn't the A7R have higher ISO with less noise than the A7II?

I agree 24 mp is enough for me as well.

I plan on getting some Zeiss E mount glass. I'll be using that more than my legacy lenses.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Someone else here may know more about that than I do. But AFAIK, it does not. As I said above, the pixel density of the sensor would make it less able to handle high ISO than the A7II (or even the A7). The reason the A7S is such a good high-ISO performer is because of its 12MP sensor, which has a relatively low pixel density.

7. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

If you downsample the 36MP to 24MP, the A7r has been high ISO performance. But even without downsampling, the 36MP is still at least comparable simply because it's a newer chip design than the 24MP.
    At least...that's what I've read.

DPreview's Studio comparison tool is helpful here (link).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. allcity

Nov 30, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    Ron
    Okay, that makes sense. I'll probably pick up the A7II then.

9. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Even though 36MP are pretty tempting for some stuff I'd pick the A7II as well (IBIS, faster AF, uncompressed RAW). I thought long and hard about getting one myself but I basically got all the stuff I need (a Sony and 3 Fujis) and I'm pretty tired of upgrading. Good luck with your choice!

• Like Like x 1
  10. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Me, too. If they had updated the firmware for the A7II before I got my A7rII to allow PDAF with adapted lenses, I definitely would have bought that instead.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

It's been mainly the uncompressed RAWs that kept me from buying the A7II , but at some point I lost my patience and bought some nice Fuji glass instead. No regrets :).

12. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Easy, what do you require? IBIS or higher resolution? 24 mpx is plenty enough for most folks. Certainly it is for me, so I went with the 7II. Also, the 7II has better ergonomics and is/feels more robust.

• Agree Agree x 1