A7ii IBIS Tames Handheld Tamron 150-600

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by starmite, Nov 14, 2015.

1. starmite

starmite TalkEmount Regular

Dec 20, 2012
    20151114_5003_1600. 20151114_5025_1600. I've got an upcoming safari planned, and still have a few months left to experiment and practice with various settings using the Tamron 150-600 (Sony version without VC) lens mounted to the LA-EA4 adapter on my A7ii. The goal, of course, is to get some fantastic wildlife shots while on safari.

After hand held shooting a number of photos today with various settings, I think I've concluded I'm getting the best results using the single shot auto-focus mode with center focus. Using the wide focus setting resulted in the camera not consistently focusing on the intended focus area. I'd definitely like to hear from others that have alternative suggestions on how to best take these long range shots on an adapted zoom.

I'm posting two test shots. The first was shot at 150mm, with "wide" focus setting. I hand-held the camera (the lens has some heft) and was attempting to focus on the label of the propane tank. With wide focus mode, it seems like the focus locked on the chair instead of the label. In the second shot from the same position, at 600mm, using single shot AF, the focus clearly locked in on its intended target. Even better, given the shot was taken hand-held with the just over 5 lbs. of lens and adapter attached to the front of the camera, it's obvious that the IBIS does an excellent job. Great to know this lens can be used without a tripod if need be.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for that. It looks like a great lens for shooting really long.

Does the lens report the focal length to the camera for stabilisation, or do you have to manually set the focal length in the menu? Since it was designed for the A-Mount I would have thought so, but I thought I'd better ask.
  3. starmite

Dec 20, 2012
    Using the LA-EA4 with Tamron autofocus, it reports the focal length to the camera. You also have the option of shooting manually and setting the focal length in the camera.
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    A great advantage for shooting longer lenses.
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    I only see one image.
    The propane tank....but it's sharp. For hand-held if it's at 600mm, it would be outstanding.

I always shoot center focus, unless it's action shots.
  6. starmite

Dec 20, 2012
    The propane tank was definitely shot hand-held at 600mm. I haven't yet tested the set-up to determine if a small micro focus adjustment for the camera/lens combo is necessary, but if so, it will only make the results even better - which already are exceeding my expectations.