1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7ii FW version question

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by AlwaysOnAuto, May 20, 2016.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I'll admit it, I'm struggling a bit with my new-to-me used camera.
    Up till now I've managed to have a pretty nice time using my Nex-7 and various other digital cameras that I own.
    I just checked and my A7ii is using FW (firmware) version 1.10.
    The Sony site lists the latest as 3. something.
    Should I update it?
    Can I update it or is it so tricky to do only a Master of Updating should try?
    Will it solve my file reading problems or create more havoc.

What version are you using in your A7ii?

All I want to do is enjoy taking pictures with it and be able to share them with you all.
    Thanks for any help.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Current firmware is 3.10. And since it enables PDAF, you should definitely update it, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Agreed. In all likelihood it fixes bugs too. Several updates including the 3.10 have said stuff like "improves camera function". What exactly is camera function?

• Like Like x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I stick to what Brian Smith says for doing updates:
    Bulletproof Guide to Sony Camera Firmware Updates
    Ah, if only life were that easy... It's just like that with any new camera these days, the camera is better and therefore different from the one you know, so in my experience you get stumped more than once by your new toy. And the whole image chain is affected, post-processing and all.

• Like Like x 4
  5. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I am using version 2.0 on my A7ii. I upgraded to 2.0 so I could have the great uncompressed raw feature, which I now have and tried and decided to not generally use. After my upcoming vacation trip I will upgrade to the latest ( is it 3.1 ? I think so...)

You also asked if only an "Upgrade Master" should try this. Ad recommended Brian Smith's advice and I agree. I have upgraded twice. Both times I found that reading the instructions and planning my steps took about twice as long as the actual upgrade, but was time well spent. It goes very quickly and I encountered no problems at all. It is simply a part of Sony A7ii ownership, and not a bad part at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey guys, just wanted to report that I ran the upgrade process last night and it went without a hitch. Haven't taken a lot of pictures with it yet but the version reported now by the camera is V3.10. So it looks like I was able to go from 1.10 all the way to 3.10 with no problems. I used a freshly charged battery and apparently the USB cable that came with the camera is the correct one too since it seems to have worked. Time will tell.
    Part of the routine that I need to get into with this camera is telling it what focal length the lens is. I guess I should practice changing lenses and work up a process flow that includes that step in it.
    Thanks for all the encouragement so far. I'm really pleased with the pictures this camera produces so far.
    Thanks again for being there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Yep, good idea. I literally tell the camera what lens I used for the previous picture(s) by recording a video in low quality. Picked that up from someone at dpreview.

8. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Not a bad idea Ad. I may have to give that a try.
    Thanks.

9. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Ha ha!
    My photo software must update itself based on the Win driver's. It seems to be working now re: being able to 'see' the files for importing.
    I may be getting somewhere with this...

• Like Like x 1