• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

A7c vs A7ii Actual Size Difference

tjdean01

TalkEmount Regular
Hey, guys. My favorite setup of all time was inside the Think Tank 20 bag: [Sony w/Canon 85mm on its side like shown below] > [separator] > [Panasonic GM1 wide angle P&S]. The problem was that the fit was a bit too tight for my liking

(random Amazon pic of Think Tank 20)

1609997288080.png
   ---            

Well, I want the A7c to replace the A7ii regardless. But, is it just me, or is the body of the A7c a bit chunkier than the A7ii? In both cases the blue lines seem wider apart than the pink. Based on this alone it seems that A7c is closer in size to the A7ii than I thought. I thought the A7c would actually have a narrower body. Must be better IBIS?

From the end of the eyepiece to the end of lens mount, anyone know what the difference is? 1/4" or about 5mm?

1609998166677.png
   ---            

1609998390853.png
   ---            

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Well, it’s not few millimiters that will change your bag’s life: it’s the different viewfinder above all that marks the difference ( and obviously the grip ). Without the bulky height of the finder, you should fit easier your camera.
If were me, I would not swap between the cameras just for that

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
If size was the initial reason to switch, it will be the other reasons that make it worthwhile...better AF, better Z battery life, 4K and no recording limits. Superior A7III sensor. Flippy screen (can be a +/-). A new shutter design that should be more quiet and robust. But I don't believe the IBIS is better, nor the EVF. And you do lose the rotary dials and some custom buttons.

tjdean01

TalkEmount Regular
Yes, I originally waited 4 years to buy an A7, although I wanted it from Day 1. The A7iii was out by the time I bought the A7ii in the end of 2018. But, I never enjoyed using it due to the size. I'm just not comfortable with it. Yes, it takes better pictures than any camera I've ever owned, but I never really enjoyed using it like I do Micro Four Thirds. And that's due to the size. Luckily for I paid under $1000 new with the kit lens (that I also don't like) and since it's in perfect mint condition, I can probably get $800 for it if I'll ever get it out and take some photos of it to sell. I'll try to sell her first to someone who wants something in absolute perfect mint condition. I have the 50/1.8 FE lens too but the adapted 85 was the only lens I really liked on there.

I've bought several cameras and lenses and sold them on. When I get the A7c I might like it, might not. WNG, thanks for the run down of the extra features. The better sensor will be nice, although the previous one was plenty good enough. I see a Sigma 62mm f2 is coming? And I know there's a Sony 85mm f1.8. I might try for one of those. The Sigma looks pricey though!

tino84 - yeah, well, you'd be surprised! If I would have had 10mm or about a half inch to spare I would have kept that bag and probably carried that combo a lot more often. I'd also like to try an RX1. Nice and small. 35mm so that would be different for me (I usually shoot 24-32mm range or 85mm). I keep watching but even original ones used are still over $700!

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Well, size of the serie is the best you can find for a 35mm camera

https://camerasize.com/compact/#777,579,673,858,ha,t

So if you’re not comfortable with it, I think you won’t be served well with A7.
RX1 is a compact camera, so a different beast. It’s up to what you need.

Keep in mind that A7C is aimed to a different target than regular A7; basically it’s not an evolution -except for size-, but you lose buttons and grip

Also, I don’t know wich Canon do you refer, but native 85mm is small and light ( for a full frame 85mm )

Latest posts

Top Bottom