1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A77ii or A7?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Jul 25, 2014.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I have the A6000 and a beloved NEX-6, the bigger flash, and 4 SEL lenses, 16-50, 35, 50, and 55-210.

I'm thinking about selling off my OM-D E-M1 and getting one of these two Sony cameras. I love the idea of working with full frame again (ex-D600 user), and having the speed of an A6000 when needed. Somehow, in the back of my little pea-brain, I'm thinking the A7 is already old news and will be discontinued at Photokina in favor of the A7R and A7S, and maybe a newer body. Not the other hand, I like the form factor of the A77ii, especially with a grip. So, I'm torn. Ideas?

• Like Like x 1
  2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    A77 II is APS-C sensor size, not FF

You will need new A-Mount lenses: A-Mount can be installed on A6000 or A7 whatever the model through LA-EA3 or 4 adapter. You will not be able to mount your E-mount lenses on A77II
    As of this writing, only A99 is FF SLT (very similar to A77 II) or older SLR's (not SLT) A900 and A850

3. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Yes, was aware of sensor differences. That's why it is a tough call to me.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    First, don't let this "A7 is old" thing get in your way. It's a great camera, and it's not old at all. Remember the time when full frame cameras got updates all three or so years only?

Second, the main advantages of the two cameras over the other (imho):

A7:
    small
    light
    35mm sensor

A77 II:
    faster AF

So it depends what you value more. A7 will give you a slight edge in image quality, while the A77 II does offer better AF speed, especially in bad light.

5. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Anyone actually used the A77ii? How's the AF compared to say, an A6000?

The 16-50/2.8 would be the perfect all-around kit zoom for me, and keeps me looking at the A77ii. Though FF could negate the slightly better speed of that lens over the A7's kit zoom.

6. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Why is fast AF such a big priority ? Shooting birds or bullets in flight ?

My findings in using Minolta 9000, 7000i, 700si, 7d, Sony A100, A700, A900, A77, NEX-7 and A7r is that as AF speed increases, focusing precision ( or where the camera actually focuses versus what i want ) is getting worse and worse probably due to the number of focusing points multiplying.

My regular camera is A77 /16-50 F2.8 and i can't remember thinking this combo was slow. Nex-7 can be a little slow to decide but when used with LA-EA2 and an A-Mount lens, things seem to accelerate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Two sons playing youth football, I'm the one who takes all the game pics and uploads for the other families. OM-D E-M1 was decent but A6000 is obviously faster in use. Was wondering if A77ii was similar, that's all.