A77 review by DigitalRev

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Armanius, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
  2. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    Maybe it's just me but as a semi-pro I already have my NEX and I'm in love with it. There's nothing I personally am doing which the A77 will do better than my NEX. I'm a novice and will be long time from now :)
    First time I will start feel 'limited' by my NEX, then I will consider going on a full frame maybe as I will consider it the next big step.

Kai has produced yet another great review - I've been watching him a lot lately and before I purchased my NEX5.

Thanks a lot for sharing.
  3. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Good review,...enough to prevent me from ever considering the A77,...not that I was.

With the same sensor in both the NEX 7 and this big cumbersome SLOW doorstop of a camera really will determine the shape of things to come in the next few months/years. I keep thinking of Ben Hogan and his "swing for show and putt for dough"......
  4. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I sometimes wonder about their reviews; I was looking forward to review of the NEX-5N and the review was a big wet fart! Didn't really test it and was very negative, and, after many complained about the review they did another review and it was just as naff. Going slowly off them...

Cheers, Macjim.
  5. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Their reviews are not nearly as good as they used to be. More times than not anymore, I just find their stuff obnoxious.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    It is quite unfortunate that their reviews have hit a steady decline especially as of late, but one must remember that what they present is their own opinion and everyone is entitled to one no matter how daft it may be and I say unfortunate because there are some who take their reviews as gospel. The folky music, over the top reviews, pointless exercises in camera modification, a chinese bloke speaking in a heavy brit accent, and use of vernacular language makes me see it as one thing and one thing alone.....Entertainment, that's all it is.

In the world of photography there are not a lot of people who can actually entertain you (they can impress you with their photos and skill but not actually entertain) hence the folks at digitalrev have had a cult following like Ken Rockwell who is also very opinionated, skilled, multi awarded, uses vernacular language, and needs your money.

(No offense intended to anyone who are actually big followers of digitalrev or of Ken Rockwell, I personally follow them from time to time but mainly for entertainment purposes as I do find it hard to take them seriously (it's like saying you're fighting for peace or screwing for virginity). I mentioned earlier that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and humbly this is mine)
  7. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    You have to take everything in stride in Kai's reviews. They are somewhat informative, but primarily entertaining. Yes, it's obnoxious and over the top. But that's what makes it fun. In my opinion anyway. For technical stuff, we can always go to DPR or IR.

One of the things that I like about Kai's reviews is that he's not afraid to call something "rubbish" if he thinks it's "rubbish."