A73 vs A7R2

Drd1135

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Steve
I returned my used A7R2 for various reasons and decided I’m going to get a new one. However, I can now look at the A73 for only $200 more. My thoughts are:

A7R2:
1. I think I would enjoy the higher resolution. I like detailed images and crop space.
2. It is a bit cheaper.
3. Not too worried about file size. I upgrade my system every few years and storage is cheap.
4. The A7R2 would nicely complement my 24 mp Fuji XH1

A73:
1. Not a big action shooter, but I do have a 15 month old granddaughter. The eye focus is very tempting. I think the A7R2 has eye focus as well but it’s not as fast and the Fuji is just ok with face detect. The focus advantages of the A73 are mostly driven by this little girl, but she has considerable influence with me.
2. The Fuji XH1 with IBIS and an XE3 which produce excellent 24 mp images.
3. Although the XH1 is good in low light, it seems like the A73 is the champ. I love shooting at night, especially when I travel. OTOH, the fast FE primes are big and pricey and i’ve been looking at smaller 2.8 primes. I can stick the 35 1.4 on the Fuji and that’s two stops recovered. I have also read that the A7R2 is no slouch in lowlight either.
4. I’ve read the ergonomics are better on the A73 relative to the R2 and I like a joystick.

So you see my problem. The A7R2 gives me some extra hi Rez capabilities in my kit. But if the A73 had enough advantages I could sell the XH1, buy a fast lens, and keep the Fuji stuff as a a lightweight kit with the XE3.

Thanks for reading. It helps just to write it all down, although I’m happy to read some comments.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Hey Steve,
I've got three granddaughter's all under the age of 3. I upgraded from my A7ii to the A7iii in hopes of being able to keep up with them.
I'm still practicing on that front.
What I will say is that I'm glad I treated myself to the A7iii last May for my birthday. I haven't upgraded the software for it yet, but, I just shot the Belmont Shore car show with the FE28 on it and it was a joy to use. All the shots in the Cars Too thread were shot with that duo, even the closeups which are crops from larger pictures.
I had a Tamron 17-28 on order, but that fell thru so now I'm on the hunt again. I like 24mm for shooting cars, but I want/need auto focus when things get crowded, like at this show. No one wants to wait around while an old guy gets his shot lined up.
Anyways, I'd vote for the A7iii. The low light capabilities far exceed the A7ii, which still is in my bag.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I like the A7III, mainly because it address all the issues I had with the A7II. The A7III low light is good, but still requires proper raw editing skills. It's not so much the files are cleaner than previous gen Sony bodies, it just holds dynamic range and colors better in the higher ISO range. Eye AF makes life easy especially when composing shots. I have two little kids and as a parent it makes portrait shooting super easy with little ones!

Where Sony is starting to look attractive is with third party lenses like Tamron (budget 2.8 zooms), Sigma (fast primes) and Samyang (with small primes).

Drd1135

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Steve
I like the A7III, mainly because it address all the issues I had with the A7II. The A7III low light is good, but still requires proper raw editing skills. It's not so much the files are cleaner than previous gen Sony bodies, it just holds dynamic range and colors better in the higher ISO range. Eye AF makes life easy especially when composing shots. I have two little kids and as a parent it makes portrait shooting super easy with little ones!

Where Sony is starting to look attractive is with third party lenses like Tamron (budget 2.8 zooms), Sigma (fast primes) and Samyang (with small primes).
I kept the Samyang 35 2.8 when I sold the A7. It’s a nice lens and makes the A7 bodies a small kit. A huge advantage for Sony right now is the lens selection compared to the Nikon and Canon mirrorless FF offerings.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I kept the Samyang 35 2.8 when I sold the A7. It’s a nice lens and makes the A7 bodies a small kit. A huge advantage for Sony right now is the lens selection compared to the Nikon and Canon mirrorless FF offerings.
Yeah the fact they really opened up to third party manufacturers has given Sony an excellent boost against the competition when it comes to lenses. It's one area where Canon and Nikon, should reevaluate their business model in this regards.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I’m really curious about the Sigma 45 2.8. I tend to like FL in the 40’s
I'm shooting with the Samyang 45mm 1.8 FE if you're interested in that lens as well. It's incredibly sharp, compact with nice colors and a swirly style OOF rendering. The AF is also better than the Sam 35mm 2.8 FE using a new style STM motor.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Of course, there’s always the A7R3. The best of both worlds as long as one of them isn’t my wallet.
Steve I think you're going down a rabbit hole of GAS if you start overthinking things! I'd prioritize what's most important for the things you shoot.

- Making large prints?
- Capturing nice portraits of your grandchildren?
- Shooting in low light?

Also why do you want to add a Sony body despite having top Fuji gear? What's holding you back with Fuji that requires adding a new camera? Honestly, the A7III is a lot of bang-for-buck for what you've mentioned. The refinements in that body include ergonomics, dual card slots, improved battery, eye-AF, faster and wider AF spread, 24mp BSI sensor, etc. I think it's more than enough to justify it over an A7RII, unless large prints or cropping is the main priority.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
If it is really only a $200 difference, I would get the A7iii unless cropping/enlarging are really important. Even then, you can do those to some extent with 24M. AF aside (A7iii easily wins there), you get the newer tech sensor, bigger battery, some of the ergonomics you want like the joystick. And it is a newer body, so you might still get some upgraded functionality via firmware updates.

Not to make it more complicated, but if you really want the extra megapixels, used A7Rii bodies are going for a lot more than $200 less than a (new) A7iii - down around $1200, sometimes as low as $1000. I have been tempted to grab one myself at those prices (I have an A7ii).

Drd1135

TalkEmount Rookie
Real Name
Steve
Steve I think you're going down a rabbit hole of GAS if you start overthinking things! I'd prioritize what's most important for the things you shoot.

- Making large prints?
- Capturing nice portraits of your grandchildren?
- Shooting in low light?

Also why do you want to add a Sony body despite having top Fuji gear? What's holding you back with Fuji that requires adding a new camera? Honestly, the A7III is a lot of bang-for-buck for what you've mentioned. The refinements in that body include ergonomics, dual card slots, improved battery, eye-AF, faster and wider AF spread, 24mp BSI sensor, etc. I think it's more than enough to justify it over an A7RII, unless large prints or cropping is the main priority.
It’s funny that I used the phrase “down the rabbit hole” in a similar thread over on the Cameraderie forum. A new A7Rii is only $300 dollars more than used. And the A7 iii is only $200 more. And the A7Riii is only $500 more. And the Mark IV is only $1000 more. 🤑 The truth is that I was initially attracted to the new A7Rii when it was on sale for $1500. When the price went back up, I started looking at the A7iii out of curiosity. It rang two bells for me. Better low light performance and better AF, especially the Eye detection, than The A7Rii. The XH1 just wasn’t giving me the hit rate I wanted with anything that moved, especially my granddaughter. Also, I‘m tired of fighting with XTrans raw files. I’m currently leaning toward the A7iii, especially when I consider how much computer resources would be devoted to using the Rii as my go to body.

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
More functionality and refinement, processing power, AF, etc. with the 3rd gen bodies. I'd opt for the A7III over the A7RII. The extra megapixels isn't enough to justify it against the laundry list of improvements of the A7III.
The two bodies share the same EVF too. Going all the way to an A7RIII can be justified in cost due to further improvements like the better EVF, more AF points, pixel-shift, 3rd gen architecture which still has a chance of firmware feature upgrades.
Sell off your Fuji gear, as once you add a Sony A7III or A7RIII, you will rarely reach for the XH-1.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom