1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7000?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by TonyTurley, Oct 22, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    • Like Like x 5
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I'll get excited when the full spec's are officially released. Though I certainly won't be buying it.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    It was about time I think - many Nex-7 owners were expecting the successor for quite some time :D

Curious to see how it compares spec-wise with the A6000...no mention of the size/res for the EVF used for example

Thanks for posting this Tony ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    a6000 sensor in NEX-7 body and I'll be a happy camper.

Tri-Nav and focus peaking makes shooting manual so satisfying. The Nex-7 really is a modern day "rangefinder".

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hopefully all those complaining that the A600 was not enough will now be happy.:p

• Like Like x 1
  6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    You're welcome, Nick. I just posted this because I stumbled across it, and a quick search of this site showed it hadn't been posted yet. If the rumors have any validity, it could be an interesting camera. I tend to be a generation behind everyone else, though. When I bought my 5R, the 6 & 7 were already out and a 5R combo kit was a little over $500. When I upgraded to the 6, the 5100 & 6000 were already out, and I was able to get a new 6 body for under $400. I like new cameras, but I'm also cheap. I liked the weather sealing when I owned a Pentax K-30, but it isn't absolutely necessary, even for winter ops. Even if the 7000 becomes reality and is universally loved (HA!), I wouldn't get one until the price had dropped significantly, which means not for another year or two.

Tony

7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I hope they hurry up and announce it, just to stop me impatiently buying an A7.

Would be very cool to be able to shoot at 1/8000. Wide open in the Australian sunshine.

8. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    If either the weather sealing or the full tethering materialize, this would be enough to make me upgrade my a6000. I finally sprung for a 16-70Z and now I'll have to sell it to upgrade to the w/s one:frown:.

On the other hand, depending on prices, I may once again consider jumping ship to Fuji X-T1, but I'm thinking if this camera does show up it will be very fairly priced.

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've long felt that all those high quality APS-C optics deserve a high-end body - a true NEX-7 successor with sturdy build, generous controls and the best EVF.

I suppose the A7 series has taken the wind out of this concept somewhat. (I'd be a case in point for that - any high end body I purchase in the future will very likely be full-frame.) But there's still a lot of APS-C lens owners out there and how tough could it be to merge the cutting edge tech and premium builds they're already doing?

Here's a bit of food for thought:

http://www.leica-boss.com/2014/05/sony-a7r-a-better-aps-c-camera-than-the-sony-a77/

Obviously this wouldn't be a very sensible approach for most. But it does make a case of sorts. A weather-sealed body with the RX1/A7 layout and APS-C sensor, maybe without the faux prism "hump" so it has a distinct size & form edge - and of course lower pricing. Seems to me like there'd be a market for that?

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I'm betting the A7000 + weather-sealed 16-70 wouldn't be cheap . . . . my guess is at least $1800 USD together. We'll see if the combo actually materializes.

Tony

11. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    still good news it will push a6000 price even down

12. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I would take weather sealed with the size of the A3000 body if they could also add IBIS

13. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I think you have to bump that price a bit Tony. The current a6000 + 1670 combo is $1650 retail. I would think you are looking at $2000 min.

If Sony makes an a7000, it would surely be aimed at other high-end crop sensor cameras like the Fuji XT1 and the OMD EM1. Both of these bodies have pro-level features (weather sealing, magnesium alloy body, manual controls, 2K viewfinder) the a6000 lacks. These camera bodies have a price point >$1000. Sony typically undercuts, so my guess is for Sony to price the a7000 @ about $1000. Well below competitors, yet pricey enough to be viewed as in the same class.

14. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Good point, Gary. The mu43 OM-D E-M5 debuted at around $1,200, and even now a new body is in the $700-800 range. I've looked at them, and they have some pretty nice features, including a magnesium alloy body, weather sealing, 5-axis in-body image stabilization and a 1.44M dot viewfinder. OTOH, it is slightly larger than the NEX-6. The E-M5 has gotten great reviews, so it is tempting.

Tony

15. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    And today there's yet another rumor about this, well, uh, rumored, a7000: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr2-some-more-a7000-info-256-phase-detect-and-125-contrast-detect-points/

Of course, it bears noting that both of the rumors posted on SAR this week about the a7000 have been SR2 and SR3 rumors from "anonymous sources" with no track record, so many grains of salt to be taken with them.

Nevertheless, I do think a higher-end body above the a6000 is coming sooner rather than later. Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic are all playing in the "above US$1000 non-FF" market, and that market is far too profitable for Sony to entirely forego.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Interesting if this rumor bears fruit . . . $700 USD body, and $1,200 lens. Take with many grains of salt.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  17. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I'm not so sure if i like the body design,,, but the lens is nice. :p ;) :D
    15720251492_4edab0b6e4_o.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  18. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Hmmm... weren't the Maxxum/Dynax branded cameras called "Alphas" in Japan? If so, was there already an Alpha 7000 in Japan that matched this Maxxum 7000 from the U.S.?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Well played.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I would totally buy it if it looked like that.

Or even better, if it looked like a Minolta SRT 101

• Like Like x 1