1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A7?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by CWL, Feb 13, 2015.

1. CWL

CWL TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Cumbria UK
    Chee
    Hi All

I am after some advice to determine if the A7 is the right camera for me. I love using my C3 with a selection kit and old manual focus lenses.

I'd purchased a Canon 650d as an upgrade a while back and never really bonded with it. Image quality is better but in hindsight, not big enough difference to the C3 to warrant the purchase.

I'm only a novice and shoot in JPEG and use Snapseed for PP. I considered buying the Canon 6d but the thought of old manual focus lenses is pulling towards the A7. So my question, would the A7 be wasted on me? I will eventually shoot RAW when I find the time to learn and process the image.

Many thanks in advance.

2. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Hey Chee,
    I have a NEX6 and really enjoy the process of using manual lenses. I have often thought about making the leap to the A7 but haven't for monetary reasons.

What don't you like about the C3?

Why do you think you didn't bond with the 650d (t4i)? What don't you like about it?

If you eventually think you will eventually shoot in RAW spend some time PP, and wouldn't mind the bigger form factor of the A7 and can live without the convenience of a pop-up flash...then my initial response would be to go for it. I looked at your flickr stream and you have good stuff on there.

3. CWL

CWL TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Cumbria UK
    Chee
    Thanks Eric

I love the C3 but looking to upgrade in a pursuit of better image quality.

I guess I was a little disappointed with the 650d as I'd expected a bigger improvement in image quality over the C3. The C3 is so much fun to use and the articulated display encourage a bit more creativity. The lack of dedicated buttons is the only downside.

Manual lenses is a real joy especially with focus peaking, my cheap CCTV lens is my favorite.

Just wondering if the A7 would be wasted only to shoot jpegs.

4. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I too had a look at your photos on Flickr and based on some of those would think you would probably get a lot out of an A7. If money is an issue you can likely find a good used one on eBay.

PS. I see very little wrong with using Snapseed by the way. Great app.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The A7 is quite an upgrade from the C3.

What is it that you are looking for in the A7 that your C3 or the 650d are unable to accomplish?

6. CWL

CWL TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Cumbria UK
    Chee
    Thanks Barry.

7. CWL

CWL TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Cumbria UK
    Chee
    Looking for improve image quality, viewfinder, few more dedicated buttons and more practical form factor. Being able to use my old manual focus lense would be a bonus too over the 650d.

Seeing recent colleagues photos from a full frame DSLR is the real driving force.

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I have been tempted by the A7 for a long time, but I think the thing to remember is, the A7 is now cheap but the full frame e-mount lenses are definitely not.

I think if you can afford the A7, and at least the 55mm F1.8, and have money left over for something like the 28mm F2 a bit later then yeah, that will be a great setup.

If that is out of the question, you would probably be better getting an A6000, and maybe a speed booster so you get full frame field of view. Manual focus lenses are a lot of fun, but not so great if they are the only option.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CWL

CWL TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Cumbria UK
    Chee
    Though long and hard about it and now a proud owner of a new A7 with kit lens!

It's the right camera for me as I always enjoyed using my C3 over the 650d. Looks like I'll be spending the evening searching for adapters for my old lenses!

I'll use the kit and canon 50mm f1.4 for now then decide if I need a fast e-mount lens.

• Like Like x 1
  10. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Congrats! Hope you enjoy the jump as much as I did. Looking forward to your photos :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

11. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    you already have an adapter for that viv 24/2.8 in your sig file? does it have the tokina serial number? i have one of those, and on my a7r, it's cleaner on the sides than most other 24mm legacy lenses that i've tried.

12. CWL

CWL TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Cumbria UK
    Chee
    Yes, for some reason I got it into my head it was different fitting! Not tried the Viv 24 yet, loving the Canon 70-210mm though.

13. CWL

CWL TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Cumbria UK
    Chee
    Not taken many photos yet, spent quite sometime getting to know the camera and setting it up.

Here's a quick one taken with the Canon 70-210mm. Handheld and through a window.

Photo 15-02-2014 10 10 03 am.

• Like Like x 1
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well enjoy. I hope you are able to get what you desire with the A7.

15. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Excellent! Have fun --I look forward to seeing more of your work! The A7 certainly gives you a lot of elbow room --you can capture great images now, and if you ever feel like you want to experiment with developing from RAW, it is just one camera setting away.

I am very curious to see how some of my favorite legacy lenses work in their native FOV.