1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 - Where Can I Check Shutter Actuations? I Have Tried Several - No Luck

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by sonicbuffalo, Aug 8, 2014.

1. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    I just bought a Sony A7 and wanted to check shutter actuations. Does anyone know what website can do this? Thanks!

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    • Like Like x 3
  3. sonicbuffalo

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris

Camera model not supported...but I checked the EXIF and it looks like it has about 60 images on it. Thanks for your help. Guess there is no actuation site that supports A7's or A7r's. yet.

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Whenever I've gotten that message its always because I've made some change to the filename.
    I pick a different one and then it works fine.
    If you're certain you uploaded an original "camera file name" that came straight from the camera into your PC, then it may be that site hasn't gotten your new camera on its list yet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sonicbuffalo

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    Yeah.....thanks Roundball.....I tried 3 different files this morning and none worked. I did check the exif and saw it read something in the 60's range.

6. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    I found that Image Count 2 was higher than Image Count with A6000 files if I used one that I'd imported with Lightroom. Tried the files directly dropped and dragged to my Mac's desktop and both numbers were the same. Command line latest version of exiftools dumping the whole exif file.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great techniques, but it would be simpler if the camera kept a running total.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I know what you're saying...but actually the camera does keep a running total.
    The problem is that it's not readily available to the owner/user.
    Why in the world Sony didn't set up a menu slot that displays the running total is beyond me

• Like Like x 2
  9. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Just tried mine out of curiosity: 17,762! With just over 300 photos on my Flickr page I'd say that's a...good...ratio? :D

10. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    Probably a number of people would freak if their new camera had any shutter activations on it. Anyone who knows about exiftool is likely to know what a low count means rather than suspect they've gotten a return.

My exiftool results for the earliest shots I kept:

For A3000:
    exiftool -ImageNumber -ImageCount -ShutterCount
    /Volumes/Photos2/SonyA3000And6000/Jan2014Sony/_DSC0010.ARW
    Image Count : 13

For A6000:
    MiniMac:~ rebeccaore$ exiftool -ImageNumber -ImageCount -ShutterCount
    /Volumes/Photos2/SonyA3000And6000/June2014Sony/_DSC0002.ARW
    Image Count : 38

I suspect either the A6000 gets a bit more in-factory checking than the A3000, or my copy of the A6000 had had demo shots taken in the store.

If you think this is tricky, try finding the shutter count on a Panasonic mirrorless. Exiftool gets internal serial numbers and lens serial number, but not the shutter count from my GF1. I've got the way bookmarked but it's definitely harder than using exiftool. I think for Nikon DSLRs, shutter count is also in the exif information.

11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    • Like Like x 4
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And just to ensure I have a clear understanding on this...the SD card has noting to do with a camera's shutter count.

You can reset the numbering scheme on an SD card;
    You can completely reformat and reset an SD card;
    You can replace an SD card with a bigger or faster one;
    You can lose and replace an SD card.....and so on.

But the camera circuitry is what captures / holds the shutter actuations through any / all SD card activities, correct?

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for sharing that link...I downloaded it and was blown away by the amount of data it provides.
    However, there is something off about the image count for the NEX-7 photo I used to test it with...shows an astronomically high "image count" number which is obviously incorrect for a camera only a year old.
    Any ideas?

Meanwhile I'm going to take a test shot with each of them and rerun the Image Count tests.

14. sonicbuffalo

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    Ad.....when I downloaded it, it shows a lot of data, but I didn't buy the pricey $39 version. Do you have to use a Raw file for the actuations to work? or use the paid version? Thanks!

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I took a shot with each, reran the test, and got the kind of shutter counts I would have expected...4706 and 3644.

Previously I had used an image I took yesterday, and without changing the file name at all, had simply moved it to a folder for that kind of bird (Cardinal)...yet apparently got that astronomical image count # from doing that.

Just now, I imported a fresh image from each camera, then used PIE to open each image right where they were imported to and got good readings so that certainly validates PIE...and my thanks again for posting that link...look like a terrific tool.

Now for the heck of it, I'm going to simply move these two recent images to another folder and re-check their counts again to see if they've gone crazy just from moving them to a different folder.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sonicbuffalo

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    My download shows a lot of data, but no image counts! Am I doing something wrong?

17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, I moved the images and got the same correct shutter counts.
    Don't know what happened with the first one using yesterdays image I had moved...must have gotten my hands crossed or something.
    At any rate, it's all good...and this PIE tool is fantastic..thanks again for sharing it!

18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Be sure to scroll that data box on the right way down to the 'SONY' section...then look.

19. sonicbuffalo

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    I got it.....the exif is worded differently than the Nikon's I tried....found my Image count so all is well.....thanks a bunch...

20. sonicbuffalo

Aug 7, 2014
    North Carolina
    Chris
    bought a refurbished A7 that has 71 images on it....can't beat it for the price....just wanted to make sure it didn't have an obscene amount of images on it in case I want to send it back. My only other choice would be the Fuji XT1....but I think I'm liking the Sony!