1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A7 & Voigtländer Nokton 40mm

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by AlexH, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AlexH

AlexH TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    I've been enjoying the A7. I've been shooting a lot with the Voigtländer 40mm Nokton Classic f/1.4. There's just something about the feel of the lens, the focal length (50mm feels too tight sometimes, and 35mm feels too wide), and the way it renders that I love. Here are a few black and whites from the A7 & Nokton 40mm combo:

11761517683_973f78a531_b.
    Let's not trespass here by ALXPhotog, on Flickr

11740525783_709730345f_b.
    Winter by ALXPhotog, on Flickr

11786440286_8ecd3e2b28_b.
    Lakefront minimalism by ALXPhotog, on Flickr

• Like Like x 15
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Diggin the first one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Excellent shots!!! No.2 and 3 for me :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Nice! I'm definitely 40mm curious.

• Like Like x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    +1, special.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AlexH

AlexH TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    It's quickly becoming my favorite focal length! I find it useful for landscape (at least, how I shoot landscape), street, portrait, etc. It's a very versatile lens.

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    For me it has always been my favorite focal length. The 20mm on my GH2 had the same angle of view and now the Voigtländer 40/1.4 is the default lens on the A7 and I get most of my keepers with it. Once, when I had Nikon F3's and many lenses but not a 40mm, I was seriously trying to lay my hands on an Olympus OM 40/2 and an Olympus body once I got the lens. Never succeeded, although I've had an Olympus 35SP rangefinder camera with a fixed 42/1.7 lens but it was a bit flat even stopped down. These days the Olympus OM 40/2 fetches very high prices, around € 300 and then I'm not even talking about Buy-It-Now prices ranging mostly between € 400-500. My used Voigtländer 40/1.4 cost me less, a little over € 300 and that's for a current and faster lens.

However, the Voigtländer 40/1.4 is not without its flaws. For starters, its closed focusing distance is only 0.7m which annoys me sometimes. And it needs stopping down to f/8 to get sharp across the frame. At larger apertures (smaller f-numbers) it gets progressively more unsharp outside the center until only a relatively small center circle is sharp at f/2 or f/1.4. If you want something in focus near the edge, you'll have to seriously stop down. Bokeh can be a bit busy in the background and swirly near the corners, foreground bokeh is beautiful.

And yet despite all this, I just love the Voigtländer 40mm because of its field of view. It's the widest standard lens as I see it. With a 35mm I feel I have to start to pay attention to the foreground so that's wide-angle in my book. And at 50mm I start to lose the all-inclusive feeling I get with shorter lenses. Maybe I could get by with a Minolta 45/2 but I loathe the feeling of that cheap, plasticky, non-smooth focussing piece of cr*p; optically it's not bad BTW.

A low-price alternative is the Konica Hexanon 40mm 1:1.8. Buy-It-Now prices are mostly € 99; I won an auction for it paired with a Konica Autoreflex TC and Sun zoomlens 85-205/4.5 for € 43.50, which is about normal. This lens is mostly sold together with a body for very reasonable prices. I'm still waiting for the Konica set as well as for the Konica AR -> E-mount adapter. If the Hexanon 40mm is sharp across the frame at f/8 it may become my landscape lens because it focusses closer. Eventually one of the two 40mm lenses will probably go.

• Like Like x 4
  8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I use a Heliod adapter that allows for closer focus. Since you like this lens so much, you really should try one. It makes a world of difference.

• Like Like x 1
  9. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for the tip. I'm a bit weary of introducing of another variable in the path that can lead to misalignment, so I might go for the Voigtländer product, hoping it has low tolerances. Its price suggests as much! :eek_old:

10. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I use this one from Hawk's Factory. It's very well built and not cheap either. I have version 2, I think there is a version 3 now. Totally recommend it.

i-6NLJMQS-L.

My Vöigtlander Nokton 40mm looks like this on the NEX-7 with the adapter

i-T8RsSFD-L.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I bought cheap chinese copy of this origo adapter and it wobbles too much... What about original, is it hard-wearing enough to pay extra money???

12. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yes.

I only have one lens I use it on so it stays on the lens and it's just as well built as the Vöightlander. I don't even think of it as separate anymore. No wobbles, just solid. it's like having 2 focus rings on the lens.

• Like Like x 1