A7 v A7ii. Temporary body of choice?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Joseph Thekale, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Joseph Thekale

Joseph Thekale TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Hi, I should first apologize for being all over the place. Now here is my delimma.

I purchased my A7ii in May, after the A7Rii was released I desperately wanted one and sold my A7ii two weeks ago. However, when it came time to justify spending that much on a camera for purely passion and not professional work, I just could not justify it. Since I get paid for shooting sports, I invested in a Canon 7Dii for that specific purpose (unfortunately my Sony was not completely reliable for sports...yet). For everything else I refuse to shoot with anything but Sony.
    I have decided to wait a year or so until the A7Rii drops/rebates to $2500ish to make the purchase. In the meantime I want a camera that is good for strictly still photography. Since I just spent some cash on 7Dii for sports, I do not want to splurge on the A7ii once again only to sell it in 1yr (fingers crossed). For still photography, will purchasing the A7 give me the same result as the A7ii? I realize the IBIS helps with stability and lowering shutter speed for more light. But I have a flash now and have grown as a photographer to the point where my hands barely shake.

Am I right in my logic in terms of down the road thinking? Will getting the A7 for strictly stills give me the same result as the M2? Would love to hear some experienced perspective as I am new to photography and quickly growing... Resulting in jumping the gun & gear whore syndrome.
    Thanks.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    This is an issue. Sony has some amazing products in the A7 FF, but they are quite costly.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'd go with the original.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    FWIW, I've now been shooting with the original A7 since Dec. of 2013, and except for my genetically baked-in new toy lust, I've not given much serious thought to upgrading to the next level of FF Sony bodies. Like you, I may spring for the A7RII when the price drops substantially. But in terms of image quality, the A7 is still delightful. So if you're buying a "tide-me-over" body, I'd say you can't go wrong with the A7, especially if you grab a good used one from someone with less self-control than I have. :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Joseph Thekale

Aug 24, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks for validating my thoughts guys. Heading over to Best Buy after work. First, I join and win the 28mm lens and now I finally found a forum where folks are willing to help and share info without being di*ks.
    This place is awesome.

Please share anything I should/must know about the original A7 that you feel is important. I currently have the kit 28-70, and the 28 f/2 comes in today, next up is the 55 1.8 Zeiss (possibly during Black Friday).

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    :biggrin:

7. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

The other bonus is that when you eventually get your A7rII, you'll likely find that keeping the much more compact A7 body around has its own benefits!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joseph Thekale

Aug 24, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    I like the way you think :)

Okay 1 last thing to share as I leave work and head over to Best Buy. I noticed that its near impossible to find a used A7 around me...(Michigan) idk why. A brand new one from Best Buy = $1160 & Amazon = $1100, while used ones are almost $960. Is it just me or does it almost make sense to get a brand new A7?

Also an open box A7ii from Best Buy is only $300 more...I am back to being confused again lol. Does it make sense to just get the open box A7ii for the extra $300 ($1360 v $1090)?

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'd say that if you're planning to shoot with legacy lenses, or even FE lenses without IS (such as the 55mm f/1.8), you may benefit from the IBIS in the A7II. While getting a shiny, new body is always pleasant, for only $300 more...

I just love spending other people's money! :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    $960 seems steep for a used one unless it comes with a bunch of other stuff. Here are a few links for recent sales:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1386155/0?keyword=sony,a7#13191292

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1385557/0?keyword=sony,a7#13186397

Looks like mid 700s is a good deal with a bunch that were asking 700 as well. Maybe put up a 'Wanted to buy' post here or at Fredmiranda.

11. Joseph Thekale

Aug 24, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks for the link, looking through them right now. The real reason I am torn is because the A7 series will be on sale during November for Black Friday & A7iii announcement is predicted to happen during that time period... Discount Paradise

But I guess you can say such things for any product. Cannot risk not taking images in the fall.

12. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I'm skeptical we're going to see an A7III quite so soon. While Sony dropped the ball in a couple of places with the mark 2 cameras they are pretty solid versus the competition and I think we're going to see them stick around for another year at least (my speculation).

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I'd be very surprised to see an A7II replacement in 2015.

Personally, IBIS means a lot to me, so I was willing to pay the difference between A7 and A7II. But I think if you shop for a good deal, that price difference is closer to $500 whether you buy new or used, and besides IBIS there wasn't any other differences that mattered to me.

Both are good choices. I think if you see yourself buying an A7RII or A7III next year, you'll lose less money by going with the original A7 right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I agree. I think Sony is done with its FF body lineup for 2015, save maybe for the huge surprise of a full-on pro-oriented A9 (think larger heavy-duty, weatherproofed body and faster continuous drive for journalists and rugged nature work). Spring 2016 seems more likely for an A7III. But then again, what the heck do I know? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    ^^ +1
    Same feeling here too. A99ii or A9 the bomb.
    a7xxx = 6 cameras within 2 years quite a lot of pounding around.
    A7m3 probably with minor refresh with higher MP count.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  16. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    A7 and A7II share the same sensor. If you looked at the output of the two you won't be able to tell the difference.
    I bought a used A7 locally (michigan) 6 months ago for $800 I would be surprised if it went up since then...
    How about a used A7r? :) they go around $1000 and it would give you a resolution bump over your old A7II...

17. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    For many that chose a7, a7ii over the a7r is not about resolution.
    Sure, a7ii has the same sensor as the a7 but there are obvious reasons why one would upgrade from the a7 and still not choose a7r even with discounted price.

18. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    The OP stated that he would use it for strictly stills... I may have misread it but that means to me IBIS, AF, Sync speed, electronic first curtain etc. is secondary for him and he is looking for pure IQ... hence my recommendation of A7R. For me the A7 is the better camera but he may be happy with the IQ of the A7R.

19. Joseph Thekale

Aug 24, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Hi, thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Took it all into consideration and did my best to wait it out...Then pulled the trigger.

Got a good deal I think. The item looks pristine with very low shutter count. The cost is similar to a used body from Amazon/Best Buy. But I can make a much more informed decision here, and the added grip/batteries are awesome. USA warranty with receipt from B&H through April 2016.

Came very close to getting the A7R, but honestly at this point in my life I do not need the high MP count and possible shutter issue. I have used the A7ii before and loved it and since a new A7iii does not seem to be in the horizon this will give me good mileage. I can use this bad boy and confidently lower the shutter speed and get images like I did in the past. I think I will just perfect my art for 2 more year before jumping to the "R" version.... or so I rationalized my choice :p

Thanks again guys!

A7ii.JPG

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Looks like a great deal to me :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1