1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 Test Shots w/ Legacy Lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jefenator, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Got the set up here on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92878699@N04/sets/72157638934590896/

Tested are:
    • Tokina RMC 17mm 1:3.5
    • Nikkor 24mm 1:2.8
    • Minolta 24mm 1:2.8
    • Leitz Summicron-R 1:2/35
    • SEL24 on the NEX-7
    • Leitz Summicron-R 1:2/50

I'll add more relevant material as I see fit. So far just got the quickie f/8 "twig" test (I just invented this morning) and a crude wide-open BOKEH comparison of the longer lenses.

Thus far, I'd say:

• The Tokina 17mm has some potential. (Using it for a true ultra-wide for the first time is more fun than dynamitin' fish.) The right side used to be & still is smeared - should try to remember to mentally crop that away when composing.
    • The Nikkor seems fairly solid out to the corners. I used to feel the renderings were a bit "flat" on the NEX-7. Still seems that way, though the outdoor conditions aren't exactly vibrant.
    • As before the Minolta is extra sharp in the middle & a bit looser toward the corners. Field curvature might be at play.
    • The Leica 35mm did better than I was hoping. The (35mm equivalent) SEL24 seems slightly more impressive in the corners. The 'Cron is just awesome wide open and has significantly more capacity for subject isolation.
    • The ancient 50mm Summicron (with all kinds of dust inside) is just kicking all kinds of butt.

• Like Like x 5
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks a lot for sharing these, I finally get to see what Leica R lenses are about. The pictures at f/8 of the 50/2 Summicron are very good indeed, but don't look better to me than the results of a somewhat lowly Canon FD 50/1.8 @ f/8 which is my best 50mm in terms of sharpness across the frame at middle apertures. I'm sure the comparison will be quite different when using the lenses wide-open.

I use this "twig" test all the time, framing trees in the corners of the image. It's a very harsh test, some lenses look terrible this way but are perfectly useable in less demanding situations.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I was stoked with my new test because I get all 4 corners at once! :p

I'll be very curious to see how my little collection of nifty fifties fares. Many of them had issues on the NEX-7 but thus far I'm finding the full-frame pixel grid changes things in ways that can't always be predicted. (So far, usually for the better!)

For maximum scary stopped-down sharpness all the way to the corners, my money's on my old Canon FL 55/1.2. But the coarser pixel grid may well eliminate certain very subtle sharpness variances between this, my Nikkor 50/1.4, the Minolta MC and maybe even the Olympus. (That would be awesome if the latter worked out - the two OM primes I have are so much smaller and lighter than anything else!)

• Like Like x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have the same experience. It's really worthwhile to test lenses on an A7 that didn't do so well on a NEX-6 (in my case; a NEX-7 is even more demanding). If a lens is good on the NEX-6, it's mostly very good on the A7; you'd think that the corners being further out would give some nasty surprises, but that's hardly ever the case. However, a lot of lenses suddenly drop down in sharpness in the extreme corners and I suppose that's by design. Especially wide-angle lenses do that.