1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 still a worthy option?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by elandel, Sep 20, 2015.

1. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Hi all. I have a decision to make. Sold almost all my m4/3 gear to jump the FF bandwagon. Want something light and portable so I'm thinking Sony Ax series. Just don't want to spend a lot so wondering if the original A7 is still a good choice waiting for the 3rd or 4th generation bodies. Thanks A7 would would be a bridge to later upgrades. Now I'm not sure if the A7II is a better choice but here in Italy there is a consistent 600 or more euros difference.
    Would use natI've 28-70 zoom and maybe a couple of legacy lenses mainly Nikon E series primes.
    I would use it for general photography because I'might an amateur and not pro. Don't print much.
    I read that both have their flaws so I thought that A7 could be a good body waiting for the system to get fully mature.
    Can you help me make a decision?
    Thanks.

2. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
    Yes. I bought my A7 mk 1 two weeks ago :D I dont need ibis and more buttons

3. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan

Thanks. Have you experienced any of the quiks like blobs or sensor reflections in high contrast low-light situations?
    How is AF performance?

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'm currently in the same situation, although the price difference between the original A7 vs the A7-II (body only) is about 400euros here...

Unfortunately I'm short of this 400euros so I will opt for the original A7. I will be mainly using it with adapted legacy (MF) lenses for start so (the slightly better/more accurate) AF performance is not something I care about.

However, the A7-II is a much better camera IMHO, especially if you'll be using legacy adapted MF lenses (IBIS), so if you can afford the difference then definitely go with the II. That does not mean the original A7 is a bad camera - not at all :)
    I also prefer the IIs body design (better grip, better shutter button placement etc).
    IBIS is also great for when shooting in low light (lower handheld shutter speeds possible)

If you are planning to buy the newest (ie. sell the A7ii when the 3rd gen appears), then the A7ii will hold a better resale value than the A7.

5. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    You're right but I am short of those 600 euros. If I can afford the newest in the future then I can keep the A7 as second body.

6. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    Im not entirely sure it will be the case, unless the A7mk3 comes out at a lot more than the Mk2 did. Looking at cameras values in the used market once the next gen comes out there seems to be a similar drop from generation to generation. Personally I think the Mk1 is a perfectly good functional camera and it has a lot going for it, it weighs a fair bit less and now can be had for £500 or so rather than £900+ which is the cost of atleast the 28mm lens, so if you are on a tight budget its a superb choice spend the difference on a lens or two. Lenses will drop in value far slower than bodies and it is useful to have one native lens even if you mainly intend to adapt other lenses. If you have no camera the one you can afford today over next month or longer means you can take photographs of things happening now.

7. Alex66

Dec 23, 2014
    Look around for a used 28-70mm I got mine for £150 I think from a dealer with warranty a lot less than the new price.

8. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Yes. I was nearly convinced to stretch very uch my budget and get a mk2 but the more I think the more I'sure the A7mk2 is the best choice for me.

9. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    That's exactly what I'm going to do.

10. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Buy the way I have another question to ask. I'm mainly a jpeg shooter. How is the jpeg rendition on the A7? Can you twee it to your taste in camera like Olympus?

11. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    The original a7 is definitely an excellent buy for what it is especially at the current new or used price.
    It is always good to have a backup camera if you decided to get the best, the latest down the road.
    It's good as long as an OSS lens mounted on, and with care when used with long lens without OSS/VR/VC ect.

IMO about APS-C vs FF, FF image quality is still the best.
    I've tried to comeback and thought I could love the APS-C again. Twice, the a6000 last year and the a77ii this year. Sold them both for a short period of usage.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan

I understand that once the FF virus ha attached it is difficult or impossible to go back apsc. The same happened to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Janne303

Janne303 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Janne Eriksson
    I went from D700 to nex 5n and later a Nex 6. Now im back att FF A7 :D

14. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013

Here is a JPEG from the A7.

m-45.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  15. ChronoBodi

ChronoBodi TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    Please do note that yes, some JPEGs can come out great in-camera. However, there are some situations where the JPEG just fails sometimes, and has to be RAW-processed to get the real details out. Not to be hawking "SHOOT RAW ONLY" but, I do suggest shooting raw/jpeg mode, you never know when you have that one awesome picture, but, THAT awesome pic can be made better if you have a RAW version of it. Just my two cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    here is something to consider:
    The Sony A7 handles the same and delivers the same IQ today as it did on the day of its release when everybody was raving about it...
    So the real question is: can YOU live with its inherent shortcomings?
    My answer was: yes I can, all I care about is the sensor. The sensor creates the picture, the rest is just noise / markteing... most of us in their 40's grew up with PC's which needed to be upgraded every other year to keep up with the new software always needing more computing power etc. So our brains got trained somewhat that we need to upgrade continuously. Photography is different. A camera's IQ (performance) does not get worse over time. You would be surprised to find out that one of the the first professional FF camera (Canon 1Ds) still can deliver pictures which can be put next to any FF camera today and unless pixel peeping at 100% nobody could tell the difference (other than the 1Ds have insane gorgeous colors putting any modern sony/nikon/canon camera to shame). Yes it is slow, it is heavy as a brick, it's display is useless... but the output is still the same as on the day one when it came out for $8k. I got it for $700 when it turned 9 years old and I could live with it's shortcomings for years. (still could sell it for 350 easy I just value it more) until the A7 dropped to a pricepoint I could afford.
    So I would say get the a7 and happy shootin' see you in two or three years when you drop it for a used a7rII (or as suggested above retire it to backup)....

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alex66

Dec 23, 2014
    This just about sums it up, it is hard to get a bad camera now, most of the older pro digitals esp the FF ones still give out great usable files if used within their limitations. The older Kodak FF had great colours, sharp as out put due to no AA filter on the sensor but they were not fast could not go above 400iso had awful battery life and weighed an absolute ton. My preferred DSLR the Fuji S3 only a crop but its out put was beautiful, again heavy and as it ran on AA batteries you were forever changing them.
    If you are not bothered about in body stabilisation (Im not) and want a great digital back to put good lenses on the A7 is now a bargain, I hope the A7R will be also one soon. Having lived with old SLRs from the 70's and 80's I have no problem with the shutter button placement, quite like it really feels a lot like my favourite cameras.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1