1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 Shutter button

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Lurch, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    So I got my A7 yesterday but only got a chance to 'play' this evening. Setting up some of the controls etc and finding my way around the camera.
    So far I'm stunningly impressed except for two things...
    Why can I not reassign a control dial while in S or A? Surely I dont need BOTH to set up aperture/shutter?
    But this is the one driving me bonkers...
    The shutter button seems to have a mind of its own. There doesnt seem to be any real feel between half-press and full press. And even while just playing with the camera for an hour, at least half a dozen time it just 'went off'.
    Is there a fix? Or just something I'm going to have to get used to? I looked at setting the camera up for rear-button focusing but it doesnt seem to be there....

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    The shutter button on my a7s is indeed mushy but it still needs a definite press to actuate. Even the shutter button on my nex-6 is miles better :/

3. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    I might try the Lolumina soft release button

4. ggibson

ggibson TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2011
    Yeah, the shutter on my A7 is very different from my old Panasonic. Much more "mushy" indeed. I didn't like it at first, but I've gotten a feel for it over time so that it's not an issue for me. An acquired taste perhaps, so give it some time.

As for back-button focus, it's definitely possible with the A7:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lurch

Lurch TalkEmount Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    I got my button for my A7 yesterday.
    It is fantastic. The Lolumina soft-release gives it a significantly more tactile feel.
    Just wish it came in orange to match the lens mount colour :)

• Informative Informative x 2