1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a7 series: who here mainly uses it with jpgs

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Mar 21, 2015.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Wondering who around here shoots with an a7 but mainly shoots jpg rather than RAW. Was hoping to ask some questions, compare settings, etc.

I am loving the jpg OOC output on this camera. I'm not sure if the naturally better DR or color bit depth somehow translates into better jpgs, but I really like what I'm seeing. Wondering if others are shooting the same way.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sorry, no help here. Though I suspect you're right that the full frame sensor would yield better jpegs.

3. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Bought my A7ii for a trip to Canada in a couple months. Here just fooling around the house and town shooting jpeg. Usually happy with what comes out of the camera, and the only people I have to please are me and the wife.
    Generally Ap, but some Sp or manual with auto iso.

4. nippa

nippa TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 1, 2014
    Although I shoot RAW+Jpeg I actually like Sony Jpegs as much as those from Fuji.
    I had other Sony DSLRs A100,A350, and A55V where the jpegs were OK but nothing special.
    However ,when I bought the tiny RX100 , the IQ and jpegs blew me away and led directly to my buying an A7.

Shooting Raw lets me create different versions of the same scene at my leisure. That might not be important now but in 5 years time you might wish that you'd also shot RAW.
    RAW Files from my old A100 look better today put through LR5 than they did when I first had the camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    I tend to want what comes out of the camera to match what I actually saw. Right now I'm happy with what I'm seeing out of the camera in jpeg as I have the camera set.
    Planning on shooting raw at least some in Canada, but just fooling around here, not so much.