1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 sensor dust is pretty much ruining the A7 love for me

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Golfhacker27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    I am pretty frustrated with the sensor dirt issue on the A7. I don't change lenses that often (I only have 2, and they are zooms), don't use the camera in dirty/dusty environments and take care to keep the body angled down during changes.
    I use the A7 in prety much the same fashion as I used the DSLRs I had before it, and yet never once had a need to clean sensor in many years with the DSLRs.
    Is it possible that zooms are a factor? (Pumping air as the lens is zoomed)
    What else am I maybe doing to cause the problem?

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The A7 series cameras do seem prone to dust on the sensors, we all have that issue.
    I give the sensor a blow with a air blower before and after taking the camera out on a photo shoot, do it holding the camera face down so any dust falls out of the camera body.
    Every so often I use a dry sensor wipe too, with that regular maintenance I usually don't get dust problems any more.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  3. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Do you turn it off before you remove the lens? The sensor creates static when the camera is on. Turning ofc helped me any way

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Your sensor is approximately ⅔ closer to the lens mount than it was with a dslr. It's going to gather more dust just by virtue of being closer to the dust than a dslr. Just a fact of mirrorless life you learn to deal with. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Also, no mirror blocking the dust :doh:

It can be frustrating for sure. I try and take a shot of a white wall here in the house at f11 just to be sure before I go out. Sometimes I remember sometime I forget.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Mind you m43 doesn't seem to have any dust issues, guess the tiny sensor helps and a better dust removal system, they use an ultra sonic sensor cleaning solution if I remember correctly.

7. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Yeah, I can't remember ever seeing dust on any of my m43 bodies (mostly Olympus). The A7II on the other hand... I'm constantly fixing dust specks in post.

8. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I was surprised when I found I had GIANT blobs of dust showing up in some of my pictures with the A7ii. My Nex-7 taught me all about dust specks as I'd never really experienced them with my D7000.
    Found the sensor cleaning part of the menu and proceeded to try it. Works great. Now I just have to remember to check after being at the beach when I ride my bike.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    it is frustrating, but part of the "JOY" of mirrorless.

• Like Like x 1
  10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    one more reason i'm dreaming of the a99ii :p

11. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    You'd think they'd put a squigee on the shutter :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    slightly brilliant. I love the idea of this idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    So I have some photos with what looks like a swirled finger grease... a first time for me in the mirrorless world. I've used mirrorless Fujis for two years without a "miss, muss or error" (to quote the old Johnny Bench's bench Rustoleum commercial), but now I think I've got one. It's invisible on the sensor, but clearly a smudge. Sounds like it happens all the time with Sony's? So I shouldn't be intimidated about using the Sensor cleaners (I guess?) and bite the bullet and equip for the long haul. Yipes! Will have to find the relevant pages in a manual to determine how to "freeze" or "lock" the sensor on my A7II. Sounds like fun! But at least I'm not alone or thinking my camera's defective. Thanks!

Let me add that I'm looking at some tools to deal with this. Might be over-kill? Not sure... but there's a "Sensor Loupe Inspection Device" from B&H and couple of cleaning kits. Stuff adds up fast in $'s, but if it keeps the smudges away, maybe that's a cost of Sony mirrorless? Thoughts? Experience? "Mileage May Differ"?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  14. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Just in case: We've had a thread about wet cleaning Sony sensors some time ago.
    The sensor of my NEX-7 needed only one wet job so far. I've used Eclipse, even though Photosol warns against the use of this stuff on Sony sensors.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'm basically only using these not too expensive materials these days + rocket blower - pretty much the same stuff we used in the lab back in the day.
    There's a good number of introductory videos on youtube and as long as you're using the right material and don't use too much pressure!!! (never ever RUB - ever!!!) you should be on the safe side.
    BTW, I've had way more issues with dust on the sensor when I was still using zoom lenses on the NEX. Doesn't seem too much of a problem with the X-Pro1.

XPRO4002-1k.

16. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I don't think a closer lens or a 45 degree angled mirror would slow down dust infiltration to the sensor.

One thing a DSLR did have was an always closed shutter, which mirrorless cannot have due to live view.

I do think Sony's sensors are more prone to dust, as even the APS-C sensor is more dusty than any m43 camera I used.

I think Oly especially had a superior dust reduction system, and maybe that was added by a smaller sensor to shake. Having said that, Oly also has more issues with shutter shock. I have always wondered if whatever mechanism allows that little sensor to shake it's booty better might also be related to the sensor being more susceptible to certain shutter speeds.

17. ArendV

ArendV TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The Netherlands
    @Roscoe@Roscoe, the way you describe the dirt on your sensor ("swirly finger grease") I strongly doubt it is dust or even small oil drops. Do you have a picture at high f-number (unsharp against an even white background)?

18. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    I think so. Will look at it tonight. Shows up only on shots like that... if it helps. Looks like a swab that went around and traced a C-shape in one eighth of a space in the upper mid right. Thought it was a dirty lens. Noticed it with another lens... so hmmmm. I'm going to pull some shots this evening... (last night I had to replace the computer! ouch!) and see if I don't have some demonstrable shots (I do). Curious what your suspicions are? as this camera is "new to me" but under warranty.

19. ArendV

ArendV TalkEmount Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Dirt on a sensor - dust or oil - usually shows up as small spots on pictures taken with high f-numbers. This sounds like something different, it could be the result of inadequate previous cleaning that can be solved by a good wet cleaning.

20. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Rocket-Air-Blower.

This thing should be everybody's companion in the camera bag. I had Nikon D700 for 7 years, traveled with it to Africa, Asia, never needed wet cleaning. Just this blower.

A7 is nothing different, just blow it from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1